Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Clockw0rk, Mar 14, 2008.

Mar 14, 2008

Is it worth it? by Clockw0rk at 2:03 PM (990 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Clockw0rk
    OP

Newcomer Clockw0rk Newbie

United States
    I've been running with gba and DS carts for a while and am rather pleased at the amount of time and money saved being able to demo shovel ware via download. I see right now I can get a Wiikey off EurAsia for only twenty bucks, which is a hell of a lot less than what I paid for my last DS cart.

The question is, is it worth it? I've heard little bits about new chips coming out, and while I do have some soldering experience from college classes; I don't want to brick my Wii.

Recommendations from the more experienced, please?

2. cyr0x

Member cyr0x GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    If you really want to buy a chip now, buy a Wasabi or buy a Open Wii. Wiikey is dead.

3. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    WiiKey only had issues with the original smash games as far as I know. I'm not as experienced with soldering as I'd like to be, only modded a few systems in my day that required it, but if you're not that confident, the wiikey only has 5 points to worry about...I'm pleased as punch with mine, only issue I had was waiting on SSB after buying it [​IMG]

You are always going to risk a brick, but I would con wiikey as a far less risk than the other chips which require 20ish points.

If you do go with the wiikey, you might save yourself some headache by installing a switch from the get-go, that way if you have issues in the future, you can just turn it off.

Not to mention a long-wire wiikey install would be minimal risk in removal should you decide to use another device later on.

4. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    the chip you get depends on the verison of wii you have, a wiikey will not even work for the newer wiis, so make sure you figure that out first, and the wasabi is a great but somewhat expensive choice for any version, and pre-orderd have just started

5. MelonSmasher

Newcomer MelonSmasher Advanced Member

Netherlands
    If you are not sure of your soldering technics i suggest send your wii to a modder. mostly you will also get solder/modchip warranty.

grtz niels

6. robbrechter

Newcomer robbrechter Newbie

United States
    So I realize that the Wiikey site is down, but is it really fair to say that it's dead? With the amount of users that already have this chip, isn't it likely someone will pick up the reins and release necessary firmware updates (for compatibility, a la SSBB)?

Just curious what everyone thinks. I purchased one recently simply because I have a launch console and its ease of install/cost.