Is it worth it to get the Acekard 2i right now?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by apb407, Dec 14, 2008.

Dec 14, 2008
  1. apb407
    OP

Member apb407 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well while i do think i will be getting the DSi in April i have no flashcart as of now because i had lost my EZ Flash. I had been leaning toward the Cyclo but its so damn expensive [​IMG] So right now i dont rather to get a Cyclo DS and spend $50 with more features or get a Acekard 2i for $30 risk it not being working in the future and not having the same amount of features as the Cyclo. What do you guys think i should do the thing i really like about the Cyclo is the RTG actually thats about it i really would not use the RTS too much.

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    well personally, imo u shouldn't have bought the dsi at all. but since you did, you mite as well get a flashkart that works with it, no?

3. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If you can go a few months without a flashcart until you get the DSi, I'd wait until then to see if it'll still work. If you can't wait until then, I'd go with the Acekard2i. The extra features in the CycloDS still doesn't justify the high price tag, and you might as well get a card that has a chance at working with your new DSi. Or better yet, spend $10 on a regular Acekard2 for use until you get the DSi, then wait until a better flashcart comes out for that. The decision is yours.

4. apb407
    OP

Member apb407 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh well i didnt buy it yet i will most likely get it in April with my Birthday money or if i am lucky for my birthday so right now i have a DS lite

5. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Nintendo will probably go cat and mouse with the acekard team, updating firmwares and such. Wait it out.

6. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If I were you I'd wait on getting a DSi anyway. The camera isn't near good enough to replace a digital camera, and other than that there aren't many new features worth getting it for. Do what I'm going to do; wait until a killer DSi only game comes out and grab one along with the game (like a Pokemon or a Zelda).

7. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Currently no flashcard can access the DSi features or run DSi games, access the SD slot, DSiWare, access the cameras, etc. The problem is, the DS is hard coded so that when you place in a normal DS game (Well, non encrypted and digitally signed DSi game) which includes flashcarts, the games run under a DS compatibility mode which will either need a hardware mod or custom firmware to bypass which restricts the DS game to only what is available on a normal DS. This means that normal DS games and flashcarts will not be able to access the new DSi extra features.

Now a custom firmware is currently not possible until some one manages to break the encryption and digital signatures that the Nintendo uses for their firmware, DSiWare and DSi games. The firmware on the Nintendo DS was only protected by hardware which could be easily bypassed by using a paper clip which allows the firmware to be over written. With the DSi, the firmware is updateable via WiFi as well as through DSi games though it is digitally signed and encrypted with a very strong encryption which will not be easy to crack.

8. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    Just wait to see if Cyclo releases a way to run their flashcart on the Dsi.I'm sure nintendo is going to do something to stop the Acekard 2i from working on the DSi.