Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My advice to you is don't let him do it. Softmod it. And if you don't want to do that there are a few solderless modchips out there that just hook on to the drive cable. Install one of those yourself. $80 is not worth it.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
softmodding is free man. There's guides.

go to gocybershopping buy a wii tool and a modchip and do it urself. There's guides. You'll learn in the process.

Wynd

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duy64 said:
Mod it your self for free.
You can spend that $80 on a 500GB hard drive.

I agree with this suggestion. Look for the guide to install USB Loader and put your games on the hard drive. Once you use the hard drive, you'll never want to go back to burned media. Good luck!

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't feel comfortable to softmod it yourself, get someone to softmod if you you. Chipping it at this point is somewhat foolish, as you can reap the majority of the benefits with a softmod and a removable hard drive. I don't know how old you are, if you are in school, ask around, someone would probably help you do it for a pizza. If not, then maybe someone would softmod it for you for $10 or $15 as it only takes 15-20 minutes if you know what you are doing.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends if you want to go through the hassle in ordering stuff online and such. If you don't have access to a credit card/buying online then you can softmod it. If you don't care about homebrew channel, go and let him hardmod it for you. I hardmodded my Wii because I was impatient back then (during the launch of Super Smash Bros. Brawl in Japanese - I just had to play it but now I'm truly disappointed at it). It costed me $100 because I had no idea about soldering nor did I have access to a credit card/buying online. But it was worth it. I never failed on me. I have a d2ckey. Its a lot cheaper now but I'd suggest buying a solderless modchip. There's also gonna be a USB enabled modchip that's going to come out. I forgot the name but I'll get back to you later on. I'm in a rush right now and have to leave. Good luck.

Whipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have your dealer make the modifications you will miss out on all the fun and satisfaction of doing it yourself. The $80- you save will go a long way towards obtaining other Wii materials and resources.

Personally, I get almost as much enjoyment out of tinkering and modding my Wii as I do playing the games themselves.

I recommend that you at least give it a try yourself. With the step by step guides that are available it is hard to fail if you can follow directions.

Whatever you choose to do - Have Fun!

sasho123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
80$ is not worth it dude. I have hacked with wii key 2 and only took around 60$ (25$ was the cost of the chip), now I softmod for around 15$. There are really easy guides, the guys here are just the best so follow somebody's guide and if you have questions ask away (it may look hard but it's actually very easy, it's 4x times easier than softmoding an xbox 360)

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
well when i modded my wii there weren't softmods and twilight hack was just out i payed 130 euro's for a d2pro install :\ now i installed usb loader and i'm not going to use dvd's anymore so it's kinda a waste of money now
frown.gif
.. ;P

sasho123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nico445 said:
well when i modded my wii there weren't softmods and twilight hack was just out i payed 130 euro's for a d2pro install :\ now i installed usb loader and i'm not going to use dvd's anymore so it's kinda a waste of money now
frown.gif
.. ;P
Dude even so, chips didn't cost like 1000 euros. Who the hell ripped you off ?!

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
80 is a bit steep i got a winja clone soldered with guarantee for 6 months and 4 games for 45 bucks back then. when my self burned games started failing on me i made a HBC disk (didnt have zelda for the twh) and since i had a winja clone i was able to install it. now i simply use USB loader gx and keep my softmod up to date. No idea if my winja clone does any benefit at all to my wii lol.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i concur with the general consensus here, just softmod, its sooo easy and actually will give you knowledge about the wii its good to learn

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gtmtnbiker said:
duy64 said:
Mod it your self for free.
You can spend that $80 on a 500GB hard drive.

I agree with this suggestion. Look for the guide to install USB Loader and put your games on the hard drive. Once you use the hard drive, you'll never want to go back to burned media. Good luck!
not really burned media is better than hdd...you'll never know when will your hdd crashes and all of your backups are gone.
smile.gif

well replying on the op...not worth it softmod your wii by your self.
smile.gif

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Soft mods are not that hard, however you really have to pay attention to what you are doing and that you do everything to install the software properly. I soft modded my Wii, just had a friend show me how to install the Homebrew channel and I figured out how to install IOS's for different games on my own. Just read the guides. If you are not comfortable with a soft mod then get a solderless drive key, it's a simple process of removing the casing, pop out the drive cables and connect the chip. I have found that the soft mod is not as reliable for game performance and compatibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water