Hardware Is it worth buying this faulty Switch console?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Saw a boxed Nintendo Switch for sale for a little over £100. The fault is that it's stuck on the pairing the joycon screen. In theory I could just buy the replacement joycons and have a working one again but a part of me is worried that it might be the actual "tablet" part that's at fault so is it worth taking a risk for a cheap Switch?

Bowl0l

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
the details are not clear.
The joycons are not working wirelessly?
Does it work in handheld mode?
Can the seller share screenshot of the Switch in handheld mode(battery level)?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if anybody has properly gone into switch diagnostics and failure modes yet (few people do for consoles). To that end I doubt anybody can say with some kind of percentage certainty that yeah it is usually this simple fix that will total less than a new device to fix all in, or alternatively say no it is likely a fault you are not going to want to fix.

Assuming it is sold as is that means what can you recover from it, and how easy it might be to sell such a thing (all well and good having replacement batteries but if they can't be readily swapped and have not had long enough to start kicking the bucket outside warranty/be for a device with hacks that might screw with warranty then yeah).

How much do you value the £100 odd? If it is going to be your entertainment budget for a while then that is one thing, if it is the sort of thing you blow on a random Friday night then that is a different matter.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if the console is faulty you need to send it into big N to fix it and they will update to the latest FW afterwards. so depending on if you want homebrew or not that's the risk you take buying it. does it even say what FW it's on?

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if the console is faulty you need to send it into big N to fix it and they will update to the latest FW afterwards. so depending on if you want homebrew or not that's the risk you take buying it. does it even say what FW it's on?
Not too concerned about the FW but would Nintendo even accept a faulty second hand console even though it's not even a year old?

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Not too concerned about the FW but would Nintendo even accept a faulty second hand console even though it's not even a year old?

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...261/~/set-up-a-repair-for-my-nintendo-product

How to Set Up an Online Repair:
  1. Complete the suggested troubleshooting steps that apply to your system and issue.
  2. Agree to Nintendo's Online Repair Terms and Conditions.
  3. Create or log in to your repair profile so we can securely communicate with you about your repair.
  4. Enter your serial number to verify your system's warranty status.
  5. Add the repair and shipping details, and any billing information.
  6. Click "Complete" to confirm the repair order. An e-mail with complete repair instructions will arrive shortly.

EDIT:
Didn't see you were from the UK. https://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/repairs
It says you need proof of purchase.

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)