Hacking Is it worth buying a 3DS now?

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about possibly buying a 3DS in the near future, since the Gateway 3DS has been released with region and firmware spoofing.

Is it worth it to buy a 3DS now though, if my intention is to play games only (both in-region and out-of-region games) (no homebrew needed just yet to satisfy me) and I am willing to not update? Or should I wait for something else to happen in the scene?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The majority of 3DS'es (in the US, not sure about internationally) you can find will be < 4.5 firmware, I'm sure. It won't always be this easy though, so get a Gateway-compatible 3DS while you still can.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Use Ebay and ask the sellers what the firmware is before purchasing, that's how I got mine. I've seen like 4 3DS's on there for like $130 with <4.5 firmware (Buy it now).

I got mine in an auction for $115, and it came with like 20+ Ambasador games, Super Street Fighter (Physical cart), the box and all the little pamphlets, and it was V 3.0.0. The only issue I had with mine is that it's a little beat up, but that's just me being picky because I tend to take care of my shit. I'm replacing the screen cover soon, so after that I'll be happy.

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the 3DS I buy have to be within the range of 4.1 (or whatever the earliest Gateway firmware is) to 4.5, or can it be earlier than that? I ask because someone I know has a 3DS bought at near-launch that he never updated.

Would it be possible to buy that and use the Gateway 3DS on it, or does the Gateway rely on an exploit introduced in 4.1?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the 3DS I buy have to be within the range of 4.1 (or whatever the earliest Gateway firmware is) to 4.5, or can it be earlier than that? I ask because someone I know has a 3DS bought at near-launch that he never updated.

Would it be possible to buy that and use the Gateway 3DS on it, or does the Gateway rely on an exploit introduced in 4.1?

You can buy an earlier firmware 3DS and use a retail cartridge with a Gateway-compatible update in it to update your 3DS. Check out this website to find out what games come with what updates, and get your hands on that retail cartridge (http://3ds.essh.co/). I did a free 10-day trial from Gamefly and rented DKCR 3D to update my 3DS from 4.3 to 4.5, then ended the trial before the free period expired.

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can buy an earlier firmware 3DS and use a retail cartridge with a Gateway-compatible update in it to update your 3DS. Check out this website to find out what games come with what updates, and get your hands on that retail cartridge (http://3ds.essh.co/). I did a free 10-day trial from Gamefly and rented DKCR 3D to update my 3DS from 4.3 to 4.5, then ended the trial before the free period expired.

Thank you very much for the help! So the 3DS will NOT prompt you to update automatically if you have an older version? Or is that only when Wifi is disabled?

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the help! So the 3DS will NOT prompt you to update automatically if you have an older version? Or is that only when Wifi is disabled?

It won't prompt you to update unless you've gone online with your 3DS and downloaded (but not installed) a later update. Then you'll get the annoying prompt every time you boot up your 3DS. If you keep it offline (I've disabled my WiFi) then you have no worry of even this happening.

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't prompt you to update unless you've gone online with your 3DS and downloaded (but not installed) a later update. Then you'll get the annoying prompt every time you boot up your 3DS. If you keep it offline (I've disabled my WiFi) then you have no worry of even this happening.

Hm, so I have to hope my friend didn't lie and say he never updated when he did (I do know it's definitely below 4.5).

Gateway does not provide online support in games, correct? So there's no reason to leave Wifi on once you get one anyways?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be a dick or anything but why not just buy the games you want to play? Games are so cheap, and the money helps support the developers.

Here are the games I've bought:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - $15 new
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (collector's edition) - $20 new
HarmoKnight - $15 new
Mii Plaza Extras - $15 new

Still haven't beat any of them.

chaosdarkneo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No to both. :)

Thank you very much for all the help! So I basically just need to do this:

1. Buy 3DS below 4.5 and a Gateway card
2. Buy/rent/get hands on game with update that supports Gateway cards
3. Play games on Gateway without restriction

Essentially, right?

If so, thank you so very much for all this help! I was confused on what to do, and you explained it all for me :D

Not to be a dick or anything but why not just buy the games you want to play? Games are so cheap, and the money helps support the developers.

HarmoKnight - $15 new

There are games that have come out in Japan, but not the US, that I want to play. I also am a firm believer in "Try before you buy". I dislike buying games and not liking them and just having to write it off as a loss.

I also like the ability to not have to take a package full of 3DS games anywhere (trip, school, w/e) and just keep all my files on my computer and flash whenever I want to.

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for all the help! So I basically just need to do this:

1. Buy 3DS below 4.5 and a Gateway card
2. Buy/rent/get hands on game with update that supports Gateway cards
3. Play games on Gateway without restriction

Essentially, right?
Yup!

If so, thank you so very much for all this help! I was confused on what to do, and you explained it all for me :D

Welcome! :)

UltraMew

GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about possibly buying a 3DS in the near future, since the Gateway 3DS has been released with region and firmware spoofing.

Is it worth it to buy a 3DS now though, if my intention is to play games only (both in-region and out-of-region games) (no homebrew needed just yet to satisfy me) and I am willing to not update? Or should I wait for something else to happen in the scene?

Yes, but buy a black 3DS XL. That would be soo cool! [/troll]

No, at least not only to pirate games. You should buy good games, not free roms.

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

HarmoKnight - $15 new

Because I decided to try this route.

Bought like 4 games for 3DS, they sucked so I traded it all in for Animal Crossing: New Leaf because they turned out to suck. I wasted $100+ on doing that, not doing it again.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
of course newer games on 3ds are much more than that, look at SMT IV, thats a 50$ game on its own (though i think this week they dropped it 10$ for a limited time).

Im a gaming addict but i make just above min wage and go to college part time, so my money is already drained, its a pricey hobby but i cant help that i love it, so i personally take a way to play a game free when i can.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Gateway 3DS is not good enought.
You'd bettter wait
This reminds me of people wanting to replace their old computer or TV, and while shopping for a new one, saying "Nah, this one is not good enough! The new model will be coming out soon. I'll wait." With this attitude, they might end up buying a new one years later, or when their old one dies. Why not live for the moment? The Gateway is good enough for what it's meant to do, play roms. :gba:

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I decided to try this route.

Bought like 4 games for 3DS, they sucked so I traded it all in for Animal Crossing: New Leaf because they turned out to suck. I wasted $100+ on doing that, not doing it again.

That sounds like it's less of an issue with the cost of the games, and more of an issue of you not doing the proper research before buying them.

It is your responsibility as a consumer to determine whether a game is "good" before you just hand over your money for it, and it's now easier than ever. You can download demos and the 3DS for free. There are also numerous YouTube channels dedicated to Let's Play and review content.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That was scary just had a half a second power flash +1