Hacking Is it wise to downgrade BootMii versions?

krej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed BootMii beta 6 through the HackMii installer because the HBC told me to when I launched it. However afterwards I noticed that there is like no compatible SD cards that let BootMii start when the Wii starts up.

I also just looked and realized I bought a PNY 4GB SD card when I first modded my Wii, which was stupid since they only work with the BootMii public beta 2, and they're on 6 now. But my mom has a Sandisk one that is supported by Beta 4.

So, would it be wise to downgrade to Beta 2 or 4? 2 would be best for me since I own my own SD card that works there, but if 2 just sucks I could handle just using my moms in case I ever brick my Wii. That's all I really want right now, is to make my Wii unbrickable with bootmii(I got a Wii at launch so bootmii is installed as boot2). And the public beta 6 doesn't seem to support any SD cards launching at boot, so its kinda worthless for me right now...

So yeah, is there any harm in downgrading to the public beta 2, and if so then what about 4? If not to either of those, how does one go about doing this.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Just buy a cheap 1 or 2gb card setup Bootmii on it. Rip your Nand too it and put it away in a safe spot and just to be sure have a copy of your Nand on your pc hdd as well no such thing as to many backups

krej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but I have BootMii Beta 6 installed, and according to this guide: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii/SD_Card_Compatibility_List

The only SD card that works with it only lets you boot into it through the homebrew channel. So if I bricked my Wii, wouldn't that mean I couldn't restore the NAND, since I can't boot into BootMii?

Or is that guide wrong and there are other SD cards that work, and if so what would be the cheapest one that does?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you aren't sure if your card will work, just put the bootmii folder on it, put the card in, and try starting bootmii. If bootmii doesn't come up, the card isn't compatible.

I'd recommend you just ignore the link you posted, and try the cards you have. That "guide" is just a list of user reports on which cards people have tried. Cards may or may not work, regardless of whether they're listed there or not.

And to the original question about downgrading bootmii, you can, but I wouldn't, since old versions of bootmii can't open the new versions of HBC.

krej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you suggest an SD card to get then? I only have 2 in my whole house, a PNY 4GB, and a Sandisk 4GB, and neither of them work.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Surely there's more SD cards that work than that one documented one. They just haven't bothered to test any more!
tongue.gif

If you are going to test an SD card, be sure to test it multiple times. I have an SD card that seems to boot Bootmii on startup whenever it wants.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
krej said:
Could you suggest an SD card to get then? I only have 2 in my whole house, a PNY 4GB, and a Sandisk 4GB, and neither of them work.
A SanDisk brand 1GB or 2GB SD card. It needs to be 2GB or less in size, because cards with more than 2GB are SDHC. Bootmii can't use SDHC cards.

The two 4GB cards you have don't work because they're SDHC.

bakayaroo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
techboy said:
krej said:
A SanDisk brand 1GB or 2GB SD card. It needs to be 2GB or less in size, because cards with more than 2GB are SDHC. Bootmii can't use SDHC cards.

Its a lie. Im using a Sandisk SDHC 4GB Class 2 on my Wii, with BootMii and its works perfect. I have restored nand and backup nand with it, without any issue.
mellow.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bakayaroo said:
techboy said:
krej said:

Its a lie. Im using a Sandisk SDHC 4GB Class 2 on my Wii, with BootMii and its works perfect. I have restored nand and backup nand with it, without any issue.
mellow.gif
Hm...maybe it's my cards then. I've tried 4 different SDHC cards on bootmii (3 were borrowed from friends), and zero worked, so I was figuring the SDHC was the issue. My 2GB non-SDHC card has zero issues.

Thanks for the info.

75UR15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bakayaroo said:
mellow.gif
No 4gb card can NOT be sdhc, however, a 3.9999999gb card can be non sdhc, and then they can just lie about the difference. At least that is how I understand it.
As to the rest, is any version of bootmii sdhc ready?

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
75UR15 said:
bakayaroo said:
mellow.gif
No 4gb card can NOT be sdhc, however, a 3.9999999gb card can be non sdhc, and then they can just lie about the difference. At least that is how I understand it.

He never said anything about SDHC vs SD dude.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
75UR15 said:
bakayaroo said:
mellow.gif
There are 4GB SD card that are non-SDHC.

SDHC, or SD 2.0, is a specification that expand 4GB limitation to 32GB. Before SDHC was invented there are plenty of 4GB non-SDHC SD card (SD 1.01 specification).

http://www.flash-memory-store.com/qmemory-sd-150x-4gb.html

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the question is "is it wise to downgrade bootmii?" and for the reason you would be doing it for, no, its not wise. it is the opposite of wise.

you are weighing 2 choices: buy a $5 SD card, or messing with a critical part of the wii's startup sequence. even if theres a 1/1,000,000 chance that your wii will brick while writing bootmii, your chances automatically double when you write it 2 times. thats the same as going from russian roulette with 1 bullet to using 2 bullets.

bakayaroo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
75UR15 said:
bakayaroo said:
mellow.gif

Well, as long i know my sandisk card is a 100% genuine 4 gb SDHC class 2. And its says SDHC on the Card sticker, and I have a old cardreader that cant read sdhc, so im quite sure its a SDHC. Formated with Panasonic SD Formatter. If this make any sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: