PS1/2 Is it true that the PS2 is better than the PStwo?

Amiable-Akuma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've wanted to sell my original PS2 to replace it with the slimline PStwo but I've heard from a lot of hardcore gamers that you shouldn't do that. They've told me that if you have a well-working PS2 system that you should hang on to it because the PStwo isn't compatible with certain games, peripherals, or glitches out or whatever.

I play a huge variety of PS2 games including all the wierd stuff like rare light-gun shooters, every 2D title, the Bust-a-Groove series, and what have you - I sure as hell don't want to risk them not working if I get a slimline system. Then again, if all is well - then I'll want to act fast to do the opposite...so...

Any opinions or info on this, gentleman?

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The age of the PS2's are sure to be older obviously. With time, the lazorz die. The slimline models you can purchase as new.

The probable reason people like PS2 over PStwo is the fact that PS2's can be modded to boot from HDD using the network adapter so you wont have to worry about the laser only to load games onto HDD.

Thats just thoughts from my end though...as far as compatibility, I have not come across a game thats not compatible with PStwo...

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
the only complaint i had for the slimline. that was it over heated pretty quickly. but i've heard they corrected this with newer models.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only difference really is the harddrive. You can fit one at the back of the ps2. The pstwo just looks a lot nicer with being smaller. The pstwo is easier to use swap magic on as well. You already have the flip top, you just need to block the sensors.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The only difference really is the harddrive. You can fit one at the back of the ps2. The pstwo just looks a lot nicer with being smaller. The pstwo is easier to use swap magic on as well. You already have the flip top, you just need to block the sensors.
Which is still a total bitch to do. My square cap was the wrong size, the outer edge was a tad too thick, I had to file it down, but aside from that, everything else gave me its respective troubles. Yeah, I'm not much for doin that kinda stuff
happy.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only difference really is the harddrive. You can fit one at the back of the ps2. The pstwo just looks a lot nicer with being smaller. The pstwo is easier to use swap magic on as well. You already have the flip top, you just need to block the sensors.

Which is still a total bitch to do. My square cap was the wrong size, the outer edge was a tad too thick, I had to file it down, but aside from that, everything else gave me its respective troubles. Yeah, I'm not much for doin that kinda stuff
happy.gif

Yeah, I had problems with the lid sensor tool, in the end I had to open the console and tape down the sensor with a bit of electrical tape.

fryguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for borrowing this thread. But i just bought a pwtwo from a friend (havn't got it yet though, he lives in .au nowadays).. well i just wonder if it's possible to use pc usb gamepads on the pstwo as it has usbconnectors? i guess not but..

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That picture does not do the PStwo any justice. The thing is smaller and thinner than most textbooks...that is crazy fantastic. I do love my old ps2 though because I paid nothing for it, it was savaged and works perfectly fine.

ZeWarriorReturnz

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind. I had looked on the picture fast and was thinking it was different. Either way, yeah. Is it worth ditching my PS2 ( old ) for the slim? I was thinking of saving for months until the (eventually coming out) PS3 Slim.

bobrules

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a modded slim ps2 and it works great. Except they had to put a fan in mine which makes huge noises. The slim one is damn small compared to the big one. I think it has built in network adapter which the phat one doesn't have.

ChrisCrawford

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually prefer the slim. I had the slim for about a year and a half, I play it a good amount, and I have never had any issues. It works perfectly.

I've had a good amount of problems with the original PS2

If you need the hard drive though, stick with the original.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS2 -> built in hard drive bay (IDE interface is an option you have to buy separate and that piece comes with the 10/100 NIC), 2 USB 1.1 ports, IR is optional too but you can't turn the console on and off with it.

PSTwo -> built in IR with power button capability, built in 10/100 LAN, not sure how many USB 1.1 ports, you can use this for hard drive but it's going to be slow

I own two PS2 (V5 and V10) and one PSTwo (v14 or something) and have crystal chips for all 3, I'd recommend the PS2 over the slim unless you like the shape of the PSTwo. It is a really cool little system and it's about as big as 1 and 1/4 CDrom disks. Only thing that disappointed me about it is that it uses a flip lid instead of a mechanical tray, just made it seem cheap because of that. But realistically that's less moving parts to worry about anyway.

Oh yeah also I don't even use a hard drive, some games I like won't run off the hard drive so it's kinda pointless.

That's pretty much all the differences between the two, I don't think there's anything else really. They both should be able to play movies and psx games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."