Is it true that opening an email can get you virus or key logger or such?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Noctosphere, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    I'd just like to know, if I just open the email (not clicking any link)
    is there chances my computer get virus or such malware?
    Pure curiosity

2. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    Yes, it is true

Noctosphere likes this.
  3. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    Yes, completely true, I open my emails on android, Linux environment protects me to a certain degree, most nefarious things are programmed for Windows.

Noctosphere likes this.
  4. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    i see, thanks

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    To elaborate a bit most big email clients are fairly hardened against it. It could be that the client has a bug in that eventually allows execution from a malicious email, one that somehow slipped through all the nets, but that would be something special indeed.
    I can't say I have been paying attention but I have not heard of this happening for a big client in a decade or more (and I think even that was someone's ill fated attempt to give email the ability to see flash objects). If you are really paranoid you could also do a text only thing and that would be impressive indeed for something to punch through that. If you run some no name client or ancient fork of something then it becomes more of a thing.

Clicking bad links or running attachments is what gets people in trouble. The worst realistic thing to happen from simply reading an email would be if they put a remote image in there which in turn confirmed an active account or something boring like that, and for what it is worth most clients will block remote images if you want them to.

Peloisan likes this.
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yes, my mom was a recent victim of this on her Comcast email. I don't know entirely how it came about, but she opened an email, and a few hours later, some dickweed Chinese hacker changed her Amazon email and password. To make it worse, the customer service reps at Comcast told her "Amazon doesn't support Comcast email derr herr herr". So she called Amazon and they weren't helpful initially, an hour later, her account was finally restored. So yeah, emails can royally screw you over. We knew it was a Chinese hacker as the email had a Chinese name in it.

7. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    If you use an online email client (gmail or outlook online) with an up to date browser (firefox or chrome) without any dodgy browser extensions, you pretty much 100% safe.

If there are exploits in the software used to display the email on your computer you could be in trouble, but browsers are very safe these days - so long as you don't install extensions or fall for phishing.

Last edited by KingBlank, Aug 4, 2018
  8. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Don't load images from emails by default. Problem solved.