Gaming Is it true Nintendo will fine you for soft-modded wii?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
No, they will certainly not fine you JUST for having softmodded your Wii. However, if softmodding does void your warranty (and I am pretty sure it does) you will have to pay the NORMAL repair costs. In the post you were talking about, the person idiotically sent in his SD Card with pirated ROMs on it. He's lucky he only got fined $1000; he could have gotten fined up to $12,500,000 and 250 years in prison for 50 ROMs!

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
More then likely you'll have to just pay the repair cost if they notice, as you've voided the warranty. Nintendo can't fine you, or make you pay additional costs unless they take you through the judicial system.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fishaman P said:
No, they will certainly not fine you JUST for having softmodded your Wii. However, if softmodding does void your warranty (and I am pretty sure it does) you will have to pay the NORMAL repair costs. In the post you were talking about, the person idiotically sent in his SD Card with pirated ROMs on it. He's lucky he only got fined $1000; he could have gotten fined up to $12,500,000 and 250 years in prison for 50 ROMs!

Don't be silly. Pirating for personal use is not in any way a criminal offense. You can never be sent to jail for it. It is a civil offense and the worst than can ever happen to you is that you are sued by the manufacturers piracy association for lost revenue. If you are profiting from it, like selling the roms, or defeating copy protection by modding consoles for profit that is another thing, and in some extreme cases there may be jail time involved due to clauses in the DCMA.

Don't spread crazy shit unless you know what you are talking about.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
He had roms on an SD card that he for whatever reason decided to send along with the Wii. True or not that's a pretty stupid thing to do, what's next sending in a broken 360 with a burned game in the dvd drive?

D

Deleted_171835

Fishaman P said:
Put in prison for pirating a video game. Fuck, I should be in prison.

Somebody call the police.

[/sarcasm]

Bullshit detector detects bullshit

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
DON'T SEND IT TO NINTENDO
I had a friend who sent a Wii that was bricked becuz of HBC and not only did nintendo not fix it or even send it back, they made him pay a FINE (but I dunno if it's cuz he had roms on it or not) HE LEFT HIS SD CARD IN ON TOP OF IT CUZ HE THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD HELP THEM FIX IT!!! ahahahahaha (but it was a BIG wast of money)
he had lyk 50 GBA and N64 roms on his 8GB SD card so his fine was lyk over $1000

no joke :l
Would you really believe somebody who types like that?

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe the story, like was said it would have to be pursued in court. I can see them taking a law suit up, but they wouldn't really gain much except some publicity of suing a small guy and sending it out as a warning, if they sent me a fine, I'd laugh and throw it away. A court order, that I wouldn't ignore. That story is like murdering someone and leaving your picture behind and writing on the back I did it. Moronic

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P said:

stfu you lying idiot :0

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
OK, whether the story was true or not, YOU CANNOT get fined for a modded wii (at least more than normal)
I hope whoever started this thread got their answer.
Moderator, please close this thread.

xologist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolutionize said:
Fishaman P said:
Put in prison for pirating a video game. Fuck, I should be in prison.

Somebody call the police.

[/sarcasm]

Bullshit detector detects bullshit

You didn't use the proper code.. you have to do [sarcasm][/sarcasm]..

hahahahaha lol jk
haha

Emeraldman94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is fake they will not make you pay any fines even for roms. I sent in my Wii with the HBC and a ton of wads installed on the system menu and many other saved to the SD card. I had to pay no fines they saw it was modded voided my warranty and sent the wii back free of charge. They said once you mod the Wii the damage is permanent and can never be fixed, which we all know is bogus. they just dont want to fix it and have no reason to because we broke by being stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)