Is it time to stock up on PSP PSN games?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by zeello, Sep 13, 2014.

1. zeello
    OP

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    The North America PSP store is not being closed, but we all know it's only a matter of time. (Sony said they are continually evaluating it.)

So I'm wondering, should I stock up on PSN games while I still can, or should I do the exact opposite and withdraw from them altogether, knowing that they are essentially obsolete?

Yes, PSP still has access to the games, but I don't use a PS3 and I don't want to use media go. And yes, Vita can still play the games (well at least some of them, I'm not sure if it can play all) but I don't have a Vita.

In case I decide to go for it, I'm compiling a list of games to consider. So if anyone has recommendations for must-have psn games for PSP...

main:

Black Rock Shooter: The Game
    Cladun: This is an RPG
    Cladun X2
    flow
    Hoard
    Pinball Heroes (edit: no longer on PSN)
    TNT Racers

other:

- Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (only on PSN, whereas Valhalla Knights 2, the original version, is only on UMD)
    - Socom Fireteam Bravo 3 (uses online pass) (depends if online server is still up)
    - all PSP Minis (such as...?) (the only PSP mini I ever bought is Pac Man CE and its not great) (pspminis.com gave Pac-Man CE and Piyotama each a 9. So if that's what passes for a 9 then I think I can safely ignore the entire Minis library, but you tell me.)
    - all PS1 classics (I shouldn't even count these, since these dont even have anything to do with PSP. But I will get Mr. Driller)

PSP Minis:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Hargrun likes this.
  2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    i guess if you want them legally, it is. not that many people will bother though.

zeello likes this.
  3. Hargrun

Hargrun Support the arts! (The games, silly.)

May 22, 2014
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    That was exactly the second thing I thought! (The first one was a dirty word.)

But most of the games I still want to get are available on physical media and I prefer it this way. The boxes, the smell, the content... *drools*

Sooo I'm not breaking my piggy bank for it. :lol:

4. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    For digital-only psp games, there's a few that might be interesting depending on your tastes:

Brandish (not out yet)
    Trails in the Sky SC (not out yet)
    Corpse Party
    Unchained Blades
    Black Rock Shooter
    LocoRoco Midnight Carnival
    No Heroes Allowed
    Patchwork Heroes

I've only played a few PSP minis, but of them my favorites were:

Field Runner
    Age of Zombies
    Hercules Racing (very light on content, but still fun)
    Fortix (there's a sequel available too, but I haven't played it yet)

5. zeello
    OP

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    omg I forgot all about black rock shooter. Its $19.99 though... yeesh

but what do you mean a game is not out yet? how can they be talking of closing the servers if there are still more PSP games being made..

edit: wow that's unreal..trails in the sky SC is actually planned for an NA release
    edit: and Brandish..

6. Fabrizo

Fabrizo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    The US servers are staying open so companies are still releasing games on them. XSeed and Gaijinworks still have at least 4 games left that're planned to be released on the US PSN store.