Hacking Is it time to move on from 3.55?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here's the skinny...

My main PS3 is a CECHA01 running 3.55 kmeaw. For what it's worth, I also have a CECHB model sitting aside still on 3.50 OFW, that I rescued with a reflow... it'd just need a hard drive in it to be able to use it.

Kmeaw has served me well for some time now. Which is why I'm surprised there hasn't been anything from the creator with regards to all these 4.** CFW's... I was half expecting and hoping to see some kind of release by now.

But that being said, I know if I had a NOR-based ps3 with an e3 flasher or something, I'd have no issue with trying out all these new firmware(s) out there since I'd have a way of restoring from a brick situation. But like with the others, it seems all these hardware flashers either wouldn't work or would require extensive soldering on a NAND system that I lack the tools and know-how of how to do without screwing something up badly.

So, I ask those of you on NAND-based PS3's particularly... are any of the current 4.** CFW's working well for you? Any bricks to report? Rogero if anyone seems to be really pushing forward with getting updated CFW out there. :unsure:

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty sure the KMEAW dev left the scene a while ago.

Rebug are also hard at work, with their 4.21 CFW, which I'm currently using and works great, and was also recommended by deank, the multiman developer. I'm on a NOR fat, no flasher but I upgraded fine.

And if you don't feel confident with soldering a flasher, you could always pay someone less than half the price of one to do it for you =)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, part of the reason that I went from 3.41 with the jailbreak dongle to 3.55 was that I at least had a way to flash and prepare the dongle to be a JIG to recover from a bricking situation.

That and from the various cfw's out there, it seemed like kmeaw's was damn near bulletproof. Glad to say that it has been.

However, I have been hoping that by now there was a 4.* CFW that has at least proven to be reliable with NAND-based units... especially since it seems like the scene only ever bothers testing on neutered units anymore. :( All these flashers out there and no love at all for us CECHA owners, you know? :(

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
codezer, i've upgraded from kmeaw 3.55 to rebug rex 3.55.2 and i'm completely happy with it. Unlocked saves, ability to unlock your own trophies.. ew, switch between DEX & CEX (all-in-one fw ready to do it), and a bunch of other tools (aimed to devs), incluiding LV1/2 patching on the fly, OtherOS++ access!!!

I'll stick my PS3 with this one for a year or two I think.. as for OtherOS...i've never seen it.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, part of the reason that I went from 3.41 with the jailbreak dongle to 3.55 was that I at least had a way to flash and prepare the dongle to be a JIG to recover from a bricking situation.

That and from the various cfw's out there, it seemed like kmeaw's was damn near bulletproof. Glad to say that it has been.

However, I have been hoping that by now there was a 4.* CFW that has at least proven to be reliable with NAND-based units... especially since it seems like the scene only ever bothers testing on neutered units anymore. :( All these flashers out there and no love at all for us CECHA owners, you know? :(

i am seriously not seeing any benefit to updating. i have a ceche01 nand on 3.41 ,maybe ill go to 3.55 for psn/sen,
but why bother to update to 4.21 ,4.30 cfw? especially to a new rebug if your not a dev?
its kinda useless to the average casual user ,it really dont add anything that useful, dex is just a headache,why bother?
it really gains you nothing ,we already can sign eboots for all latest games ffor 3.55 ,and run same homebrew and go on psn on 3.55 so what is the point of flasshing a new cfw anyway?so you dont have to replace eboots?,so what id rather just replace eboots ,ill update when someone cracks cobra features ,at least that would add some new functionality

Reactions: jalaneme

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mainly for ease of use. I'd much rather not bother with replacing eboots and running a proxy to connect to PSN. So I'd say it's actually more useful to the average casual gamer, because they have to do less legwork. But I agree about needing the Cobra features, that's long overdue, and I know I read somewhere back in June or July that there was major progress made.

Somewhat related: Now that the LV0 codes have been leaked, why is it exactly that we can't decrypt, crack, and sign new CFW's to be used on 3.56+? I'm sure it's been gone over, but I'm lazy/forgetful. :P

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maverick, the problem with that is on OFW, the update PUP has to look legit else it fails verification.

In order to look legit it needs to be signed with private keys (private keys sign, public keys decrypt).

We have the decryption version of the keys, so we can take newer firmware - do shit to them - sign them with older keys. However, this is why we need CFW, CFW will take pups not properly signed with the newer keys mainly because we told the PS3 not to do it. However, OFW will still choke because it looks at our pups and says: "WTF is this..."

With that said, OFW past 3.56 has no way of running homebrew currently publicly available. Which means we have no way to disable verification on installing newer stuff on OFW

--

Total Noob; as Maverick had said, it's for ease of use. Not to mention for game updates, you don't have to wait until someone signs it everytime to install.

--

Codezer0, buy your most favorite and expensive hard alcohol (like whiskey or something). Pour a glass full of it and drink it. Then pour another glass as a PUP for 4.21 rebug or Rogero is downloading. Install straight from XMB and then start drinking the second glass.

Reactions: Maverick Lunar X

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mainly for ease of use. I'd much rather not bother with replacing eboots and running a proxy to connect to PSN. So I'd say it's actually more useful to the average casual gamer, because they have to do less legwork. But I agree about needing the Cobra features, that's long overdue, and I know I read somewhere back in June or July that there was major progress made.

Somewhat related: Now that the LV0 codes have been leaked, why is it exactly that we can't decrypt, crack, and sign new CFW's to be used on 3.56+? I'm sure it's been gone over, but I'm lazy/forgetful. :P
I Agree... I've been aching to see the Cobra USB finally fully decrypted. Even if I only had a neutered PS3, I would want it for the fact that it opens up what I am able to play with the console; and that's always a good thing.

I also agree with much the same reason... there are some games that I've basically not been able to buy because they would require newer firmware, and for the longest time was unable to play.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they have new spoofer psn/sen enabler pkg for 3.55 ,says it works w/o proxy /fuk psn ,i am not that impatient for updates ,i rather just get eboots dlc et from iso site
they get decrypted/resigned fast enough anyway

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not one to pull the "not all of us are pirating our games" card, because that would in fact make me into somewhat of a hypocrite, but judging by your posts that seems to be all you're interested in. I can scour the internets looking for pkg's and resigned EBOOTS (or just sign them myself now that we have the keys), or I can do a one time install of a CFW.

Thanks Zetta for helping to clear it up for me.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not one to pull the "not all of us are pirating our games" card, because that would in fact make me into somewhat of a hypocrite, but judging by your posts that seems to be all you're interested in. I can scour the internets looking for pkg's and resigned EBOOTS (or just sign them myself now that we have the keys), or I can do a one time install of a CFW.

Thanks Zetta for helping to clear it up for me.
but thats all these new lv0 keys enable us to do anyway,play newer games,no new home brew,no pup signing to exploit ofw over 3.55 w/o hw
so far anyway,it will allow devs to decrypt newer ofw to look for new exploits ,but for end user ,it just means playing latest titles ,on any cfw,so why bother to update

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, if I remember right, 3.56 was the first to have an alleged rootkit at the firmware level; this was supposed to hash/verify passphrases for signing in to the PSN, but it looks like that's been defeat-able as of late, too.

But what isn't so "defeat-able" is the updated bootloader that seems to do some additional checking. I would wager this is why that it isn't possible yet to flash a 4.** CFW onto any PS3 that is past 3.55 OFW. metldr2 that apparently came with these systems that started from the factory with 3.56 or newer.

So while the current 3.55 (or below) checks might pass to allow the install, the real issue is that the added verifications in 3.56(+) end up failing because they're checking more than just the token stuff, and thus fails to install, or causes a brick situation.

john9871

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are still issues to be worked out with the new CFW. For now I am keeping with Kmeaw 3.55 If you want to play newer games, use True Ancestor Eboot Resigner 1.4 or find the patched eboot that someone has already made online. And don't forget to use a spoofer so you don't accidently update to OFW.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see any issues with the new CFW.
Take your games put it in; it all works 100% fine.
Go on SEN buy a game and it works 100%.
Its a big plus over 3.55

Reactions: codezer0

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see any issues with the new CFW.
Take your games put it in; it all works 100% fine.
Go on SEN buy a game and it works 100%.
Its a big plus over 3.55
That's one big reason right there. I'd actually like to be able to download some games and have them work. Wouldn't mind actually trying DCUO for a change.

As it is right now, anytime I try to download anything from the PlayStation store, it gives me an error code automatically, regardless of what I try to get.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one big reason right there. I'd actually like to be able to download some games and have them work. Wouldn't mind actually trying DCUO for a change.

As it is right now, anytime I try to download anything from the PlayStation store, it gives me an error code automatically, regardless of what I try to get.
I'm on Rogero 4.30 and I just had to delete my user to fix that. It sucked because it was a pain using multiman to copy all the copy-protected saves.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, with the keys for 4.21 and above, the 4.20 ones aren't as necessary to at least make that level of CFW. But what would be necessary is figuring out how to hash CFW in a manner that gets past metldr2 that had been introduced since OFW 3.56 and up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM