Is it the best idea to run games off the SD card?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by TPMJB, May 10, 2016.

1. TPMJB
    OP

TPMJB Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2014
    United States
    Syracuse, New York
    AFAIK, SD cards being flash memory have a limited amount of reads and writes. Wouldn't it be better to run games off an HDD via usb?

Or can we only launch games from SD through loadiine as of now?

I have a 32gb SD card so plenty of room, apparently

2. sTo0z

sTo0z GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2004
    United States
    USA
    Bingo.

ArturDat3DS, andriy921 and TPMJB like this.
  3. Albireo6972

Albireo6972 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2012
    United States
    Only able to run off SD atm, one day (I hope) we will be able to run off Hard Drives and the like.

4. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I dont think its as serious as you make it out...

5. apachehavok

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    SD cards have limited writes, not reads. Also, modern day high end SD cards are used for HD cameras and professional photographers who shot and erase hundreds if not thousands of photos a day. With that usage, the cards are designed to last years. So yeah, popping and removing a few wiiU games every once in awhile aint gonna put a dent in the life of those cards.

Either way, once you get a card loaded how you like, just back it up to a HDD. If the card ever farts out, buy a new one and re-copy. No biggie.

Just stick with name brand high end cards marketed to high end video and photography. Lots of shitty clones out there. I paid 80 US bucks for a 256 PNY and its working amazing.

Last edited by apachehavok, May 10, 2016
  6. TPMJB
    OP

TPMJB Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2014
    United States
    Syracuse, New York
    Alright, I just remember someone warning me about running things off SD on the Wii WAY back in the day (2006 probably)

7. apachehavok

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    There are those who would argue that flash based SD storage is actually SAFER then mechanical hard drives. Whoever warned you was blowing smoke up your a$$

8. TPMJB
    OP

TPMJB Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2014
    United States
    Syracuse, New York
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Red9419 and TheLittlestBowl like this.
  9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    You'll grow bored of your Wii U before the SD card gives out, most likely. I think the main reason to use a USB HDD, though, is the Wii U's reader isn't very good.

SlimPortable likes this.
  10. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Well tbh I want USB Hard Drive support only so I can download all the games, even though I'll probably never play 90% of them :tpi:

brienj likes this.
  11. TPMJB
    OP

TPMJB Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2014
    United States
    Syracuse, New York
    In the Wii U's lifecycle so far, there's only 3 games I even want to play, despite having unlimited access to their games. Safe to say I'm already there

12. bobdob123usa

bobdob123usa Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    I've had a Kindle Fire HD that burned up the flash. No definite way to prove it was due to load, but it was heavily used in general. Started getting corruption, then corrupted an important location within 3 months and that's the end. This seems to be somewhat common for Kindle.

13. TPMJB
    OP

TPMJB Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2014
    United States
    Syracuse, New York
    I mean I had a samsung epic from 2010 to 2014 with the same micro sd in it and it was fine.

14. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Do games load up faster from HDD rather than SD? Or is it all because there's too many small files to load up and no matter what you use, you'll always experience slower loading times for specific games?

That's one drawback to loadiine. Not only is it offline only, but the loading times is a killer. It's not the BEST thing, or to die for. But I'm not blaming Loadiine or the developer. It's better than nothing.

15. Whovian NineThreeSixNine

Whovian NineThreeSixNine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    United States
    Wind Waker HD, for example? Works really well, loading wise. Twilight Princess HD, for example? Not so well.

16. KSP

KSP GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2015
    United States
    http://www.saelig.com/product/MIO001.htm

You can buy one of these, and redirect your SD slot to your USB HDD, problem solved.

Last edited by KSP, May 11, 2016
  17. Plaguereign

Plaguereign Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2016
    United States
    One of what?

18. KSP

KSP GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2015
    United States
  19. bobdob123usa

bobdob123usa Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    I don't doubt it. I'm guessing Amazon is buying lower quality flash to keep down costs. Its also quite possible they are swapping to disk to make up for the low device memory. Finish that up with the way Android is forcing more and more to use internal flash and an external micro SD should hold up longer than the phone.

20. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I admire your honesty. LOL

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.