Hardware Is it still worth buying a 3DS?

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've had a japanese new-3DS LL (that smash brothers edition) for 1 or 2 years and has luma3DS and every thing..

Yesterday I was playing a game on it and got pissed off and threw the 3DS across the room.. It still worked fine..
But then that same game pissed me off and I threw it way across the room again really hard..

Now the charging port is half broken, and I know you can fix those, but I don't know how to solder..
And I know you can just buy a charging base, but I always have it plugged in while I am playing it, and you can't use AC power while playing it by using a charging stand/base..
I found a website that fixes your charging port for money, and I was going to do that but...........
...then I also noticed, on the top screen, in the lower-left corner, there is a black spot now where it looks like some LED liquid broke out or some thing.. When you press it a little bit the liquid moves slightly.. So basically that small part will be black for ever now..

So at this point I don't give a crap about this 3DS any more.. I am probably going to give it to some hobo on the street..

My question is: Do you guys think it is worth getting an other 3DS again?.. I wish we knew what nintendo's plans were for the 3DS..
Like I've played all the games on it (mostly) that I wanted to play.. The only other game I was going to play on it was when dragon quest 11 comes out later this year.. But I don't want to buy a whole new 3DS just for 1 game..

Do you think 3DS is slowly on its way out?.. Or do you think there will be some other big games coming out for it? (I mostly play nintendo games like mario, zelda, mario kart, but also like dragon-quest and things like bravely default etc)..

Reactions: hunoi

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what game made you throw it across the room?
Some small tiny game called "drancia saga"..
The game focuses on having you get big combos from attacking lots of enemies, but combo count goes back to 0 if you get hit.. The annoying thing is that like some times no matter what you do it registers as you getting hit.. Like when I jump in the air and hit some thing with my sword and kill the enemy in 1 hit, some times it claims that I got hit and combo count goes back to 0.. That whole game is like that, where you constantly wonder how in the world the game thinks you got hit..

Although I get kind of pissed off at a lot of games really.. I don't like losing very much.. But especially when I don't think the game is even being fair..

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
i usually get mad at games like ssb too, because there aren't many noobs playing online nowdays and i always end up playing against more advanced players.
sometimes i feel like throwing my shit against the wall too, but i know it's not worth it and that i will regret it later on, so i just turn it off when i'm about to do it and pick it up again after i calmed myself down

Last edited by aljpn91,

hunoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too am wondering if the New 3DS is still worth a buy, My o3DS is on it's last Limb. Im Contemplating between the n3DSXL or the PS4.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you pay for your stuff? or parents? I found a long time ago when I moved out and had to pay for my own things, I respected them enough to treat them nice. Well that and sooner or later you find out that doing things like that don't make you look cool. In fact people laugh at other people who do such things, and usually behind their back.

FF777

人を呪わば穴二つ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you pay for your stuff?
Yeah I buy my own stuff.. My stupid parents haven't even learned to save money yet so I think they have less money than I do..
I don't throw stuff around because I think it looks cool; I do it because I am hoping the 3DS will learn to let me win or else get punished.. So far it hasn't worked yet though.. ;\
I would suggest a 2DS.
Yeah but a 2DS is like.......in 2D and stuff.... I just need to learn to stop breaking stuff I guess.. Actually most of the time when I get angry at a game I just turn it off, or rage out to the home menu and delete the saved data for that game so I can't play it any more.. But for some reason this game was kind of fun so I wanted to keep playing it, but the hit boxes on it are so freaking stupid, I was thinking who the hell programmed this crappy game!?.. You get up to like 85 kill combo with out being hit and then some monster's invisible square hit-box over-laps your invisible square hit-box, and game registers it as being hit, even though your character isn't a square and neither are the enemies and your combo goes back to 0.. It was driving me crazy after happening like 100 times..

Actually even if I did happen to get a 2DS instead of 3DS, same question kind of still applies to me: Not sure if I should buy one or not.. Nintendo doesn't want to tell any one if it is secretly going to replace 3DS soon, because then 3DS sales will drop.. And still not sure whether or not switch will end up becoming a replacement or not.. Even if nintendo doesn't intend on switch becoming an officially replacement, what if all the game companies start making 3DS-esque games for it, and quit making it for 3DS as much? (maybe because switch hardware is better and higher resolution).. In that case nintendo wouldn't have much control over it (except to keep making nintendo games for the 3DS if they want to)..

I think what I might do is keep this 3DS actually.. The black part in the screen is really tiny, so I don't even notice it.. And if I hold the charger right, it still charges it, so I might end up taping it or some thing.. (I always play it with the charger usually).. And I will use it to play a few more games later this year, and by that time maybe we will hear news about 3DS's successor, or maybe realize whether or not the switch will replace it..

Disco Inferno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two N3DSes, two O3DSes, and two 2DSes, and I plan on getting more. They are all worth it. But then again, I am a travelling Mario Kart tournament.

Pokem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might as well just save up for a Switch.
BUT DONT BREAK YOUR SWITCH!!!
ITS 300 DOLLARS!!!
work on your anger control man
and git gud

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you pay for your stuff? or parents? I found a long time ago when I moved out and had to pay for my own things, I respected them enough to treat them nice. Well that and sooner or later you find out that doing things like that don't make you look cool. In fact people laugh at other people who do such things, and usually behind their back.
so true man. when my parent bought me a shirt, i threw them across the room and just mix it in with my other clothes without folding it.
but now, i buy my own clothes. i've learned to care for them and hang them nicely.

Last edited by Pokem,
Reactions: 6adget

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think even Nintendo knows if the switch will replace the 3DS or not. Some will argue that the switch is only a single screen and too big to be a true portable device. some say that it's really powerful for being a portable game system, therefore it could easily replace the 3DS. no one knows until it's released and we see what the players say with their wallets. I love my 3DS, and my Wii U. I also have a shield tablet that hase controllers on each side kinda like the switch, and I take it everywhere I go and play a lot of games on it. I have been playing it as a portable for a couple of years now, and I love it. So I also am excited to get the Switch.
Usually when a screen is damaged like that, it's just a matter of time before it starts to spread. The same with the charging port. I repair a lot of those on laptops. If you can move the jack around to the right position and it starts to work, then it is almost assuredly just a cracked solder joint. A few weeks, or months ago I posted on the forums to a guy about how to fix it. He didn't have hardly any soldering experience, but was able to fix it after reading what I posted. They are surface mounted, so all you have to do is hold a hot iron to each pad for 2 to 3 seconds each. no longer. that's it. It's harder to open the device up than actually doing the repair. But if you don't plan on replacing the cracked screen then it's not worth the effort. Like I said, the cracked look will spread, and fast. the more you touch it, the faster it will spread.

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends, in a years time they will stop production of the console they will be harder to find and possibility cost more if you buy them used. I my self have many games I would like to play down the line.
But we don't know if Nintendo will be making a replacement for the 3DS. If they do and it's backward comparable then no, only time can tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.