is it still impossible to inject DS Dumps into DSI VC?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by xdarkmario, Jan 23, 2017.

1. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    it seems that we have gotten very far in 3ds hacking but launching DS backups naively still is not possible. for other VC it is possible but for some reason not DS, i believe @Apache Thunder explained it once but i cant find that thread.
    i was wondering what the limitation on this is?

2. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    It's already possible to run some games off 3DS SD without a flashcart. Refer to this:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-bootstrap-loader-run-commercial-nds-backups-from-an-sd-card.454323

This is the GUI front end for it:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375

While compatiblity is still in early stages. Many older games like Mario 64 are already fully playable. Though loading times with many games may be slow, in most cases once a level is loaded it plays full speed.

Save support was recently implemented so some games even have working save read/write as well.

Last edited by Apache Thunder, Jan 23, 2017
    Gray_Jack likes this.
  3. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    DSi games aren't VC, they are a port of DSi games to the 3DS.
    Once they are not VC (emulator with rom), we cannot inject a DS game or a DSi game to the DSiWare to 3DS

4. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Yeah, DS and DSi games on 3DS are not labeled as Virtual Console games by Nintendo so officially they are simply games backwords compatible with the 3DS. The only exception being GBA games as Nintendo does have native hardware support to play "roms" of the games. GBA games aren't emulated on the 3DS but instead uses a arm7 cpu still present on the console but none the less Nintendo referred to the few GBA games they did release as Virtual Console games.

But they never extended that term to encompass DSi/DS games. There is no CTR mode program that runs DS/DSi games. They boot into legacy mode. Unlike GBA mode however, they are not "roms" loaded in a manner that was different then origianl hardware. GBA VC games have a rom preloaded into ram. This operated quite differently to how original GBA did it mainly because the 3DS lacks a physical GBA slot. But since 3DS has native support for NTR/TWL carts, they more or less implemented the original setup that the DS/DSi used to start games. DSiWare is handled in a simillar way. They install to NAND. The main difference being behind the scenes technical stuff like lack of DSi System Menu and some files that existed on a NAND image of a DSi not being present on a 3DS's TWLN partition. But more or less runs DSiWare the same way once you get the system menu stuff out of the way.

Long story short, there is no (official) "program" to inject DS/DSiWare roms into. Unlike GBA titles, there is no rom nestled into a CXI container or the like. The console more or less loads the games in question in a nearly identical way the original DS/DSi does. The only difference being the behind the scenes stuff that goes on when the console switches into legacy mode to handle these games. :P

Gray_Jack likes this.
  5. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    i am aware of the but i also know of its very low compatibility, it cant run much as it is still in its early stages.
    and i see, i thought the dsi vc was just that, a emulator and a rom

Last edited by xdarkmario, Jan 23, 2017
  6. PoopTart

PoopTart Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2017
    It sucks how Nintendo basically just completely neglected GBA VC. :cry: The GBA is an amazing system with great games. Thank god injectors exist!

7. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    this is why hackers exist to pick up the slack that game companies make.

PoopTart likes this.