Is it still a good idea to do an "initial charge"?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by R2DJ, Mar 17, 2011.

?

Initial charging - Yes or No?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mar 17, 2011
  1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    A week from now, the 3DS will be out. Everytime I've bought a new gadget, I've always had the habit of leaving it overnight for initial charging. Is it still applicable to this day and age? I mean most of my gadgets worked fine but when I got my iPhone 4 I left it to charge overnight but the battery life is worse than my mum's iPhone 4 which didn't go through initial charging.

So what do you think? I'm just curious as I wanna get the best out of the 3DS' battery. I'll be on the way to uni when I pick up the 3DS from the store so I wanna know if I can just turn it on straight away to use StreetPass or just leave it until I get the opportunity to charge it.

Thanks.

Bonus: If you still think it's applicable, how many hours would you leave the 3DS for initial charging?

2. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    I would definitely charge it immediately.

Just because my PSP Go came dead, and my DSi XL with about 10% battery life.

3. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I've read somewhere that initial charging drains about 3-4% of the maximum battery life. I always do an "initial charge" with all of my devices, though.

The 3DS should come with at least a 30 min. battery life. It probably varies depending on when the system was shipped and purchased, though.

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Honestly, with the state of the 3DS's horrible battery life, I'd recommend an initial charge.

Besides, things don't always ship at full battery. [​IMG]

5. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah it's likely that it'll only have little juice in it when I get it. D'you guys reckon I should do a long initial charge or is 2 hours fine for initial charge? I can leave it charged in the lecture hall for 2 hours.

6. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I'd set the stuff (age, location, asdf)up and then start charging it.
    Also, I think 2 hours isn't enough for an initial charge.

It may be bullshit (I don't know about batteries) but I've been told by someone (who may or may not know about them, don't remember who (s)he was) that the first charge determines the rest. Like depending on when you stop charging it, when the battery appears as "full" and stops charging on future charges.

So, you might not want to be short on charging time. I repeat, it may and be and probably is bullshit.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The initial charging is done when the batteries are made, far before the completed device ends up in your hands.

Battery technology changes over time, so a lot of what you may have heard WAS true, but is not true anymore. The only thing to make sure of with modern batteries is to NOT LET THEM DIE. The lower the charge you run them at, the worse off it is. If you take a battery and let it die before charging it each time, it will go dead before a battery that you never let drop below 50% charge, for example.

8. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    If the menu says it needs initial charge, then charge it. If not you then you don't need to.

Though Lithium-based battery don't really need an initial charge, nickel-based (excludes LSD variant) battery often needs an initial charge.

9. Rydian

United States
    Yeah, the reason it suggests one is that it doesn't come charged, and running it near dead is bad for it.

10. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    So... I guess initial charging the 3DS is a must now? How many hours should I leave it to charge then? Will it have to be overnight or can it just be the usual "unplug it when it's done"?

11. Rydian

United States
    Unplug when done.