Hacking Is it safe to use MyMenuify with BootMii installed as IOS

Vantastic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently purchased a red Wii, and installed the Homebrew Channel almost immediately. I want to theme my Wii with MyMenuify. The page for it on Wiibrew says that I should have BootMii or Priiloader installed if I don't want a brick. However, BootMii is listed as BootMii/boot2, and I'm not sure if that means it has to be installed as boot2, as my Wii is too new to install it as boot2, so I had to install is as an IOS.

So my questions:
Is it safe to use MyMenuify if BootMii is installed as an IOS?

If not, my only other option is Priiloader. However, it says it's highly recommended to install it with no unmodified IOSes. I, however, installed Riiconnect24, which requires you install patch versions of IOS 31 and 80. Is it still fine to install Priiloader?

If so, how do I use it in case of a potential brick?

I hope at least the first two questions get answered.

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still ok to install Priiloader. I installed it on my Wii after patching the IOSes for RiiConnect24, and it worked fine.

BootMii as an IOS doesn't have as much brick protection since there's no way to launch it if the home menu gets corrupted or deleted.

Last edited by ry755, , Reason: Add more info about BootMii

Vantastic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still ok to install Priiloader. I installed it on my Wii after patching the IOSes for RiiConnect24, and it worked fine.

BootMii as an IOS doesn't have as much brick protection since there's no way to launch it if the home menu gets corrupted or deleted.
Thanks a whole lot. Now my only problem is I don't know how to save my Wii from a brick using Priiloader. How would I go about saving my Wii from a brick using that?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a whole lot. Now my only problem is I don't know how to save my Wii from a brick using Priiloader. How would I go about saving my Wii from a brick using that?

Priiloader only provides partial brick protection by running just before the system menu.

If you suffer from a semi-brick e.g. bad vc wad, on boot you can enter priiloader (hold reset on boot) which allows access to the HBC/bootmii as ios, etc.

However, if you e.g. reinstall the system menu, priiloader will be removed.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can hold the Reset button when powering on the Wii, select with the Wiimote Bootmii, and then back up your NAND to an SD-Card (you will get NAND.bin and KEY.bin), then you must copy these files on your PC and archive them in something like 7-Zip.

(Note: You must either use a GameCube controller or the buttons on the console
Power = Go to right
Reset = Select option
Eject = Go to left
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s