Is it safe to use MSI Afterburner?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by GamerzHell9137, Feb 3, 2013.

Feb 3, 2013
  1. GamerzHell9137
    OP

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I googled a lil about overclocking and found MSI Afterburner.
    It makes my GPU run faster but i dunno if that's ok.
    I don't wanna that something happens to my PC.

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    From a warranty's perspective, any adjustments beyond the stock values of a CPU/GPU are to be made on your risk unless the system does it automatically and within reason (Power Plans). Practically, a small degree of overclocking won't kill your PC, but it takes some practice to determine how far you can go (higher clock frequencies require more power so you adjust voltages to keep the system stable, then you need to think of the cooling if the temperatures increase - maths, maths, maths).

If you don't know what you're doing, go for default settings or one of the "safe" overclockers that do it for you via a series of stability tests. Pretty sure that Afterburner's safe when used within reason.

3. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    As long as you remain on stock voltages, you should be relatively safe. The temps are something you should be worried about though, especially on a laptop. The generic stress tests are enough to test for stability, with some people saying find your stable high in FurMark, then test that high in some demanding rendering test, such as Heaven DX11 or somesuch, to see how actual rendering holds.

Just don't jump into an extreme the first time you OC something. Do you have a basic gist of what OC does and how to go about it?