Hacking Is it safe to update to the official firmware?

Son of Spam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an LU64 Wii with Homebrew Channel, CIOS, and the Trucha bug installed. I was thinking of trading it to a cousin of mine for her older Wii so that I can install Bootmii and anything else that an LU64 Wii can't do. She isn't into Wii modding, but I was going to leave that stuff on there. If she gets a new game that requires newer firmware, would the update just delete the stuff I installed or would there be a risk of it bricking? Also, could they send it in for repairs under the warranty if they returned it to a normal firmware? Thanks.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating to 4.2 will get rid of some things, like cIOS and the old versions of the HBC. But you can easily remod it if you choose to do so.

And since yours is a LU64 Wii you already have boot2v4, you don't have to worry about the boot2 update happening and screwing things up.

SnacksHacks

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wiihbcentral.ucoz.com
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf is correct, but even without a softmodded Wii the rare occasion of bricking STILL happens! Even if your Wii has no evidence of homebrew, updating to 4.2 has a small chance to brick. Updating to 4.2 is iffy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte