Hacking Question Is it safe to update to the current firmware now?

CyanPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So that last FailOverflow release was unpatchable, right? So it's safe to update to firmware 4.0, 5.0, or even 10.0 as long as you don't replace your Switch, right?

It seems like Nintendo released a new firmware. It might have came out today, but I'm not sure.

Also, unrelated but ReSwitched's Discord requires you to "read all the rules" at least 3 times so you can double check where the "secret message" popped up. I'm okay "reading all the rules" once, but not thrice. That's dumb.

D

Deleted-442439

If you want to use Fusee every time you boot into CFW yes, if not stay on <-- 4.1.0

D

Deleted-442439

I'm already on 5.0 I think.

Then it is up to you, I am not aware of any softmods for 5.0+, but lower is always better for the future and when CFW releases on June 15th you will be able to keep emunand on the newest version regardless.

Reactions: CyanPrime

BelmontSlayer

Pokémon Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Then it is up to you, I am not aware of any softmods for 5.0+, but lower is always better for the future and when CFW releases on June 15th you will be able to keep emunand on the newest version regardless.
The ReSwitched team did not say June 15th is the release date for Atmosphere, that was the date for Kate's exploit disclosure. It's possible we might see it then, or even before or later. It will be done when it's done.

CyanPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ReSwitched team did not say June 15th is the release date for Atmosphere, that was the date for Kate's exploit disclosure. It's possible we might see it then, or even before or later. It will be done when it's done.
Thanks for the tip. It'd be nice if someone could compile all this info into 1 area. Maybe a new sticky or something?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

She did state they would be releasing FG and Atmosphere at the same time though, meaning June XX is still Michael's target date for Atmosphere.

BelmontSlayer

Pokémon Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
She did state they would be releasing FG and Atmosphere at the same time though, meaning June XX is still Michael's target date for Atmosphere.
Yeah they were originally trying to release them at the same time. The way SciresM is knocking out commits on Github I'm sure it will be coming out sooner rather than later.

Reactions: x65943

roothorick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stay where you are. Updating burns e-fuses, which is PERMANENT, and we don't know what they all do. Updating could limit what CFW can do on your system and/or drastically delay your access to CFW. In addition, there will be an RCM trigger payload that can be delivered via Pegaswitch, which will make FG much easier, but only on 3.0.0 and older.

Reactions: CyanPrime

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot where but when I stated that in another thread, someone said I was wrong and posted an image of a 4chan thread of a user saying the planned release data for the CFW, Atmosphere, was originally June 15th. Based on the way it was written, I think it may have sounded like SciresM but 4chan is the holy grail of anonymity. I just wish I could find that post so I can check if whoever posted that verified it was him.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is on 4.1 atm.
So will soft mod work on 4.1 or only with fw lower than 4.1, like 4.0.1?

short summary for pre-Mariko units:
1.0.0: has a nice non-coldboot solution, and is the most likely to get a Holy Grail CFW-launching exploit in the future
<3.0.1: has enough power to avoid a hardmod immediately, even if you'll probably want to just do the hardmod 'cuz the hardmod's so easy
<=4.1.0: will eventually see a hardmod-less solution, but will need that 'minor hardmod' at launch
>4.1.0: that 'minor hardmod' is required; though we may find a solution to avoid this in the future

saito1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So only FW 3.0 will work with a softmod right now, and every FW like 4.0, 4.1, 5.0 etc needs the "hardmod"? (I mean shorting the pins on the Joy-Con connector)

Because I already have a Switch with 4.1, but I'd like to use it for online play + playing new games, so I think about updating to the latest FW.

Would it be ideal to get a 3.0 Switch as secondary, if I'd like to use softmod methods?
Or the 4.1.0 softmod method is 99% sure to work in the future?

Also, if I buy a new Switch from a shop 4.1.0 is the newest FW they are shipped with right now?

I expect getting a Switch with FW 3.0 is not too easy these days any more?

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So only FW 3.0 will work with a softmod right now, and every FW like 4.0, 4.1, 5.0 etc needs the "hardmod"? (I mean shorting the pins on the Joy-Con connector)

Because I already have a Switch with 4.1, but I'd like to use it for online play + playing new games, so I think about updating to the latest FW.

Would it be ideal to get a 3.0 Switch as secondary, if I'd like to use softmod methods?
Or the 4.1.0 softmod method is 99% sure to work in the future?

Also, if I buy a new Switch from a shop 4.1.0 is the newest FW they are shipped with right now?

I expect getting a Switch with FW 3.0 is not too easy these days any more?
4.1.0 softmod solution is a thing that is confirmed, just delayed a bit, 5.x.x and later softmod is not confirmed, it can be discovered tomorrow or 10 years later, or even never(unlikely). knowing that, the decision is up to yourself

Last edited by Red1Reaper,
Reactions: gamefan5

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.1 your are good because the hardmod is just the pin shorting which you can even buy a 3d printed one its just fit and its working then you can remove it...

Also a softmod only "will eventually come" while above 4.1 it might take a huge amount of time for someone to discover a way to do it...

And the softmod for 4.1 or below might even come in the day that CFW gets released making no difference to 3.0. I say this because the exploit was even supposed to be released probably after the CFW and it was already released, so hell I wouldnt even be surprised if the CFW would show up before the claimed time or at least some kind of beta since now everyone have the exploit already to test and therefore the softmod only might see a early release too...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: Red1Reaper

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
4.1.0 softmod solution is a thing that is confirmed, just delayed a bit, 5.x.x and later softmod is not confirmed, it can be discovered tomorrow or 10 years later, or even never(unlikely). knowing that, the decision is up to yourself
YES, I shall gladly wait for a softmod only option for the 4.1!!!

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The only thing in my honest opinion you should be worried about is--- if you don't have a switch get one before the hardware revision drops. If you have no current games to buy then don't worry about updating-SIMPLE. If you want to play a recent game just update, seriously all this talk of 1.0 and 3.0 and you literally can't do shit with them right now because very little has been developed. By the time you can do anything even merely useful on a low firmware switch, you will be able to do it on any other switch that doesn't have a Mariko revision T1 chip. Fusee Gelee is proof of that. I still wonder how many people now regret buying a 2nd switch, because they were shitting their pants that smhax in their opinion was going to be the sole exploit ever found, despite having been discovered weeks after the initial switch release date and nintendos atrocious history of hackable consoles. It seems almost hilarious looking back now.

As for people complaining about Fusee Gelee every boot and needing a computer, most people keep their switch in sleep mode anyway, so unless you completely power it off you shouldn't need to worry.

Last edited by Jackson98,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll mention that although they've stated softmod only is possible for 4.1.0, the same exploit is still available in 5.0+ but the addition of KASLAR is holding them back from implementing it. The easy way to interpret it's available in 5.0 is because Kate stated they are holding the 4.1.0 exploit until the new Mariko revisions are released to see if it still works with those consoles. It's also safe to assume that Markio consoles will more than likely ship with 5.0+. So while it's fair to say that softmod for 4.1.0 may be released at the same time as CFW, it's also fair to say that it may not be released until they know it's patched which could be a couple months or at the (hopefully not) most a year from now.

saito1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, well I will definitely need a second Switch, which I can use to play new games + play online, however I want another one for emulation and homebrew.

Can someone still answer the following?
"Also, if I buy a new Switch from a shop 4.1.0 is the newest FW they are shipped with right now?"

I won't bother to find a 3.0 if 4.1 is good enough for homebrew, and there will be a softmod with a high chance in the near future, that is good enough for me.

Last edited by saito1234,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: