Is it safe to update to 5.5.2 with Haxchi

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by shanefromoz, Aug 4, 2017.

1. shanefromoz
    OP

shanefromoz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2007
    Just wanted to be safe before i do.
    Thanks

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Haxchi still works on 5.5.2, but updating to 5.5.2 is not recommended. If you update to 5.5.2 and something goes wrong with Haxchi, you will have no other way to load homebrew. I recommend doing the following:

Step 1. Block updates by adding these DNS settings:
    Step 2. Delete the update folder on your NAND as extra protection against updates.

There's no added functionality that 5.5.2 brings, so there's no reason to update. If you want to update from 5.5.1 to 5.5.2 anyway without updating the browser, preserving that as a primary exploit, you can follow this guide to install the following three files:
    Online play still works on 5.5.1, and you can always use the eShop by running NNU Patcher first.

Last edited by Lacius, Aug 4, 2017
  3. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Agreed with the above post. Everything works on 5.5.1 so you might as well stay there.
    Just because haxchi works on 5.5.2 doesn't mean that you need to update.

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    does anyone know if the system still nags you about updating if you update everything but the browser? like if the system finds an out-of-date system title (the browser)?

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Your browser will be forcibly updated to the 5.5.2 version if you do not block updates, even if everything else is 5.5.2. Using the recommended DNS settings and deleting the update folder from your NAND are highly recommended.

6. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yeah, that's what I was thinking. it's pretty pointless to update anyway. I'm blocking through a proxy and my laptop, and I've deleted the update folder, so I'm safe. I have two wii u's, both blocking updates. the second might be worth selling for anyone whose system accidentally updated. it's completely unhacked. not even the update folder has been deleted. however, it's blocking with my proxy setup.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

btw, sorry for the double-post, but it's the tmd file that specifies the version, correct? can that be spoofed?

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If it's possible, I don't know how.

Edit: My understanding is that it can't be done.

Last edited by Lacius, Aug 5, 2017
    godreborn likes this.
  8. shanefromoz
    OP

shanefromoz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2007
    If i delete the update folder and wish to update later can this still be done?

9. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yes

shanefromoz likes this.
  10. 2manyGames2play

2manyGames2play GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Netherlands
    Sorry if i'm not fully up-to-date with my information but what is there to worry when having a 5.5.2 console with DNS block/removed update folder + having access to a browser exploit (albeit an unreliable one)?

11. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    The last part is key. Unreliable. That's all. HaxChi is 100%

But down the road why not just get HaxChi so you're not stick on 5.5.2 if they update

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Now that there's a browser exploit for 5.5.2 (even if it's unreliable), there's no reason not to update to 5.5.2 if you have Haxchi. There's also no reason to update either.

If you don't have Haxchi, updating to 5.5.2 is not recommended.

13. 2manyGames2play

2manyGames2play GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Netherlands
    True that. So basically Haxchi is doable, even when on 5.5.2. I only wonder what i'll be missing (full NAND backup?), since most homebrew is meant/build for 5.5.1.

Well, the console in question already has 5.5.2 on it, which is why i wanted to know what options i had.

Last edited by 2manyGames2play, Aug 28, 2017
  14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    5.5.2 has very few changes compared to 5.5.1. Aside from the reliability of the browser exploit, they're functionally identical.

Even with Haxchi, the update to 5.5.2 used to not be recommended because there was no way to reinstall Haxchi if something went wrong with it. Now that the 5.5.2 browser can be used to install Haxchi, there's no real reason for Haxchi users not to update.

Mocha users who don't want to spend money on Haxchi shouldn't update to 5.5.2.

Last edited by Lacius, Aug 28, 2017
    2manyGames2play likes this.