Is it safe to update software titles through nintendo?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kbf, Dec 25, 2018.

1. kbf
    OP

kbf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Not the system itself but the update prompts for certain games. Are they safe to update with a softmodded 3ds?

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Everything is safe on 3DS.

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  3. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Kid now, squid now

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    yes

4. AlmostBadKoala

AlmostBadKoala Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2017
    Brazil
    Brasília, Brazil
    Do you mean legit titles?

I've been unable to update titles since Nintendo "patched" CDN. Legit titles work fine though

5. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Most likely because you are trying to update titles that are from a different region, which is impossible to do through the eshop.

It's perfectly safe to update normally for same-region titles, while you need CIAs to update out-of-region ones. That's all, but next time look it up yourself a bit, this question has been asked on here 2 more times this WEEK alone... The system itself is safe to update as well by the way.

6. AlmostBadKoala

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2017
    Brazil
    Brasília, Brazil
    Actually, no. Almost all of my games/apps are NA. When I try to update something, the eshop treats the update the same way it would if i tried to download something without a legit ticket (I have a lot of those q.q)

7. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Read about problems updating with fake/spoofed tickets, "Type 1 & Type 2" games, visiting Nintendo eShop with pirated DLCs, and updating using offline means.

AlmostBadKoala, E1ite007 and ThoD like this.
  8. AlmostBadKoala

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2017
    Brazil
    Brasília, Brazil
  9. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    TO sum up.

games that exist as carts are type 1 games. these update fine. the update is a separate free download that installs as a different title. They have to be because the game exists as a cart and that's the only way for an update to install.

type2 games (the update is just the new version of the game, and replaces the old title) cannot update anymore. you have to have a legit ticket. An example type 2 game is VVVVVV. When you buy it from eshop you get latest version automatically. For these you need a new CIA file.