Is it safe to say Sky3DS will be invulnerable to Nintendo FW updates forever?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by caffolote, Apr 22, 2015.

1. caffolote
    OP

caffolote GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2008
    United States
    No matter how much Nintendo tries, Sky always wins. Do you think the Sky will never be blocked by Nintendo? Even if they release a 10.0 firmware in the near future, Sky will work?

2. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    This is hard to say. Many people already said that the communication between 3DS and Sky3DS differs somewhat from communication between 3DS and a legit card, and this is how Nintendo could easily detect Sky and deny it to run. But they didn't do it yet for whatever weird reason.

3. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    Umm, where did you get that Nintendo has even tried? Perhaps they made the business decision that there's not enough flash cart users to invest a fix (which will involve intensive testing).

cearp likes this.
  4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    implying Nintendo have ever done anything at all to try block sky3ds?..........nobody knows the answer to this, all us non RE'ing types have to go on is one dev saying it would be easy to block, and nintendo seemingly unable to block it, or simply not bothering to block it, unless any of us have access to nintendo's top secret "OMG FLASHCARDS! KILL THEM ALLLLL! department" security meetings, nobody knows what they have in the pipeline in regards to blocking flashcard usage

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'll answer the question. No, it is not safe to say that, nor will it ever be.

6. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    It will be fine so long as they don't release an 11.5 firmware. That one will be so stable that it will retroactively make sky never have worked in the first place

No, the number has nothing to do with it. A 10.0 might block it or a 9.8 might block it or nothing might ever block it or we don't know until it happens, so there's really no point speculating unless you have deep knowledge about this sort of thing.

7. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Gateway Diagnostic test shows the sky3ds and a retail 3ds cart give different results. Definiately blockable.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It'll get blocked eventually, but even then there's exploits to counteract any patch Nintendo comes up with. That, or you can just stop updating.

9. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Nintendo is just trolling us. They wait until there are millions of Sky3DS users so that they can ass fuck them all at once.

MrJason005, LemmyT, Jhyrachy and 8 others like this.
  10. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Who said Nintendo looked into sky3ds yet?
    Maybe the focused on Gateway first and now the think it's succesfull they can shift focus to sky3ds now.

Nothing is ever safe from anything!

Maximilious likes this.
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That makes total sense - let's just make massive losses for months or even years on end before we do something about the flashcart. Then again, we're talking about Nintendo, this wouldn't be the most nonsensical thing they've ever done. The way I see it, their security engineers are just idiots - they always have been, that's why their platforms are always first to get hacked, this comes as no surprise at all.

awarriorz likes this.
  12. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    It will be blocked as soon as Gateway releases the next public beta, which should be pretty soon

13. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Nah, Sky is a top secret product made by Nintendo to fuck over Gateway and make some money. I read that on the Internet! :)

14. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    right! that makes sense nintendo wants to get thier 3dses sold cheap so they just made it more easy for thier costumer to get thier games.. completely logical just like with the cios 249 for the wii, it was nintendo all over it.

15. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Oh, look! It's another one of these threads, again.

16. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Better than a how soon will GW release 9.7 sysnand support thread. :) (by just a little bit)

17. Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2008
    United States
    People who I trust to know what they're talking about (WulfyStylez, for example) have said that the Sky3DS doesn't emulate real game carts perfectly, so I suspect it will be blocked someday. Gateway is probably just an easier target.

And let's me honest, Nintendo hasn't been trying that hard to block Gateway in the recent past. They fixed a bunch of clear exploits (over many different versions) and implemented some encryption that the New 3DS was designed to use from the get go. They haven't attempted to actually stop redirected NAND from working or anything like that.

18. Fire_Slasher

Fire_Slasher GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    Like many said here, forever is too strong of a word and to be honest it will be a miracle if it stays all the way trough the 3DS's life without getting blocked. I don't want it to be blocked of course since I have one but we need to be realistic.

19. caffolote
    OP

caffolote GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2008
    United States
    I really think though they are probably just aiming for Gateway and not Sky IMO

20. Aliogeek

Aliogeek Member

Mar 29, 2013
    France
    I think Sky will never be blocked due to the way it operate on the 3ds. Nintendo is known to block flashcard every update when they can, if think nintendo can't do anything to block this.