Hacking Question Is it safe to play online with a cartrige? (Hard to explain)

Sir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the situation, I have a backup of Splatoon 2 (That isn't mine) on my SX OS, and I have played it. I was thinking about buying a physical copy of the game, so that I can play it with my friends online on the OFW. If I remove the game from the SD card, will it be safe to run it online. Basically, I used an XCI version of it once, now its removed and I would like to play on a real version. Is it safe or am I done for?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Here's the situation, I have a backup of Splatoon 2 (That isn't mine) on my SX OS, and I have played it. I was thinking about buying a physical copy of the game, so that I can play it with my friends online on the OFW. If I remove the game from the SD card, will it be safe to run it online. Basically, I used an XCI version of it once, now its removed and I would like to play on a real version. Is it safe or am I done for?
You didn't play the pirated game online? If yes then the risk is pretty low.

D

DeletedMember411838

Maybe clear your switch log with hekate before you go online again. But since you didn't play online, you shouldn't have to worry much.

Hekate doesn't clear the logs, that matter, Scries already said there is no way to clear those logs. This isn't a 3ds.

He is still at a very high risk of being banned. We don't know yet how Nintendo will proceed. However if the question is "Will Nintendo be able to tell I played my friends copy" the answer is yes.

However, if it was really your Friends copy, and not a pirated copy that has the same header as the other masses of pirates you likely won't be banned. I am doubtful of that though, as last I checked there is no way for us to dump or own unecrytped games (in the format that SX uses).

Good luck OP, if your not prepared for a ban, then stop using SX OS now, and wait for more information.

Last edited by ,

Sir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hekate doesn't clear the logs, that matter, Scries already said there is no way to clear those logs. This isn't a 3ds.

He is still at a very high risk of being banned. We don't know yet how Nintendo will proceed. However if the question is "Will Nintendo be able to tell I played my friends copy" the answer is yes.

However, if it was really your Friends copy, and not a pirated copy that has the same header as the other masses of pirates you likely won't be banned. I am doubtful of that though, as last I checked there is no way for us to dump or own unecrytped games (in the format that SX uses).

Good luck OP, if your not prepared for a ban, then stop using SX OS now, and wait for more information.
splatoon is the only reason I would play online, even future games like smash, i'm not overly bothered. I'm not gonna go out my way to get banned but at the same time if it does, fair play, I know what i'm getting into.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Since we don't know how Nintendo will proceed, how can you assume that the OP is at a very high risk of being banned? He didn't even play online.

D

DeletedMember411838

splatoon is the only reason I would play online, even future games like smash, i'm not overly bothered. I'm not gonna go out my way to get banned but at the same time if it does, fair play, I know what i'm getting into.

Fair enough, I love Splatoon as well :). I just want everyone to know full well the risks are real, they are being down played here alot.

I personally have 2 switches so if 1 gets banned I'm good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since we don't know how Nintendo will proceed, how can you assume that the OP is at a very high risk of being banned? He didn't even play online.

We don't know how they will proceed, however we can likely bet they will ban.

At any rate my statement was in regards to if they decide to ban, if they do he is at a high risk to receive one, and there is nothing he can do.

You don't have to go online is the thing. The logs are still stored of the games you own/play for the coins ECT. Those are then uploaded to Ninty when you do go online.

Zytos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally have 2 switches so if 1 gets banned I'm good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I never understood this practice. Why not buy the second switch IF your first (and only) Switch gets banned? Then you keep your banned switch for backups and the "new" switch for online gaming.

D

DeletedMember411838

I never understood this practice. Why not buy the second switch IF your first (and only) Switch gets banned? Then you keep your banned switch for backups and the "new" switch for online gaming.

I wanted a second dock anyway, and more joycons. By the time you buy those a full other switch is 100.

Also if I would have done as you suggested, I would of risked my Ninty account, as well as my Splatoon saves and Zelda ECT, which I was not prepared to risk.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
We don't know how they will proceed, however we can likely bet they will ban.

At any rate my statement was in regards to if they decide to ban, if they do he is at a high risk to receive one, and there is nothing he can do.

You don't have to go online is the thing. The logs are still stored of the games you own/play for the coins ECT. Those are then uploaded to Ninty when you do go online.
In fact we don't know what information is sent to Nintendo when you aren't playing online. We only know that if you play online with pirated games, Nintendo could detect this and maybe ban you. For now, we can't estimate how big the risk of getting banned is when you're playing backups only offline.

D

DeletedMember411838

In fact we don't know what information is sent to Nintendo when you aren't playing online. We only know that if you play online with pirated games, Nintendo could detect this and maybe ban you. For now, we can't estimate how big the risk of getting banned is when you're playing backups only offline.

We do know what gets sent to Nintendo.

When you buy a game, and you launch it for the first time. The game gives it certs to your switch. The next time you go online, the switch sends that data to Nintendo that way you can earn your "Coins" for buying that game. You cannot stop that, and that will be what gets you a ban, without playing online.

Like I just said in the other thread, those coins look like an innocent reward feature. In reality they are a seriously good anti piracy measure if Ninty decides to use it.

Nintendo do went very extreme with anti piracy this time around.

Last edited by ,

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
We do know what gets sent to Nintendo.

When you buy a game, and you launch it for the first time. The game gives it certs to your switch. The next time you go online, the switch sends that data to Nintendo that way you can earn your "Coins" for buying that game. You cannot stop that, and that will be what gets you a ban, without playing online.

Like I just said in the other thread, those coins look like an innocent reward feature. In reality they are a seriously good anti piracy measure if Ninty decides to use it.

Nintendo do went very extreme with anti piracy this time around.
What's the case if someone buys a physical copy and sells it to another person who installs it on his switch? And then what's the difference of installing a pirated copy of a game which has been installed on another switch before? How can Nintendo detect that the game was pirated and not bought from someone else?

D

DeletedMember411838

What's the case if someone buys a physical copy and sells it to another person who installs it on his switch? And then what's the difference of installing a pirated copy of a game which has been installed on another switch before? How can Nintendo detect that the game was pirated and not bought from someone else?

Because a Used copy may move around to different switches a few times during it's life.

The pirated rom, will be installed on thousands of switches in a short time window.

Like I said if his friend did dump it, he will likely be fine. If it's the same BBB copy that thousands of other people have, not so much.

The same could be said about like Gamefly, though if they were smart they covered for that, and made those specific certs. Even then, if they have 20 people all using the same cert in one day it's pretty obvious.

Last edited by ,

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Because a Used copy may move around to different switches a few times during it's life.

The pirated rom, will be installed on thousands of switches in a short time window.

Like I said if his friend did dump it, he will likely be fine. If it's the same BBB copy that thousands of other people have, not so much.

The same could be said about like Gamefly, though if they were smart they covered for that, and made those specific certs. Even then, if they have 20 people all using the same cert in one day it's pretty obvious.
And that's the part which we can't say for sure now since only Nintendo knows.

D

DeletedMember411838

And that's the part which we can't say for sure now since only Nintendo knows.

That's true, and I conceeded to that in the beginning. However Scries made it clear, Nintendo is not F$&#ing around this time. They are out for blood.

D

DeletedMember411838

Op, you get banned yet? If you haven't and haven't seen the news your going to be banned.

Update gets you banned, launch the game and go online later and you will banned. Like I said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Prowl was the autobots inside man... lol