Is it safe to "Move EmuNAND" if SysNAND doesn't even seem to work?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by CeIIophane, Feb 14, 2019.

1. CeIIophane
    OP

CeIIophane Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Florida
    Is it safe to "Move EmuNAND" if my SysNAND doesn't even seem to work? I'm using a New Nintendo 3DS and according to my System settings: 11.6.0-39U
    I've always had Luma autoboot EmuNAND, and aside from everything like my data and games being on EmuNAND, I can't actually access SysNAND anyway. Attempting to boot into SysNAND gives me an exception occurred error.
    [​IMG]
    Is it safe to go along with the Move EmuNAND guide despite this issue? I'm also highly concerned that I may lose all of my data for my 3DS games in EmuNAND such as saves, and the installed games themselves.

2. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Just do an extra Section VII - Backup SysNAND to play safe, then start again from
    Section I - Prep Work to Section IV - Copy EmuNAND to SysNAND , then load the new sysnand to check whether it runs with no more errors. If still errors, still your emunand is unchanged and you have virtually no loss.

CeIIophane and TurdPooCharger like this.
  3. CeIIophane
    OP

CeIIophane Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Florida
    I'm testing the SysNAND backup on a spare CFW 3DS before I go onto my main system to play even safer. However, there's a big step where I have to copy everything from my SD Card to my desktop, format the card and then move them all back. I recall a while ago on /r/3dshacks Reddit that I cannot simply copy files from the Nintendo 3DS Folder (specifically Streetpass-related) as "all files inside are encrypted." Won't I end up losing that important data if I go through with the copying and formatting?

4. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    err... pretty sure that a NAND from one 3ds won't work on another 3ds.

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. CeIIophane
    OP

CeIIophane Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Florida
    No, I mean I'm testing the method only on my backup 3DS first before I try doing it on my main.
    Edit: "Play safer" was only alluding to emuashui's "to play safe." Regardless, I'm still stuck on my previous question.

Last edited by CeIIophane, Feb 14, 2019
  6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Copy the emuNAND to your sysNAND but don't delete your emuNAND. See if the sysNAND loads. If it does, delete the emuNAND, if it doesn't, then keep using the emuNAND like before.

CeIIophane likes this.
  7. emuashui

emuashui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by emuashui, Feb 15, 2019
    CeIIophane likes this.
  8. CeIIophane
    OP

CeIIophane Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2015
    United States
    Florida
    No no, I was only mentioning that I would attempt backing up the SysNAND and then doing the "Move EmuNAND" guide on a backup 3DS only, in case I make any mistakes that I can then avoid making on my main console. I did not mean for it to sound like cloning; my apologies.

Anyway, despite my fear of potentially losing any data during the process, the guide was successful on both consoles (respectively!) Thanks much, emuashui!

emuashui likes this.