Gaming Is it safe to give out my Wii Keys?

TheTechRobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
thetechrobo.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
I know it's (at least decently) safe to give out my MAC address, but is it OK to give out my Wii keys?

Context: I'm doing a tutorial on how to get your MAC address without access to the Internet settings (e.g. if you have parental controls or your wii is semi-bricked) so you can install homebrew but the way shows ALL your wii keys, not just your MAC.

Is this OK or do I have to blank it out?

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is just your console specific ones then whoo you might get banned from the shuttered online service if someone clones the device. Though you might find someone clones it and uses it in the online replacement services, some of which do have their own banning options.

If it is the public keys along with that then that will probably depend upon whether the site in question allows the public keys to be posted.

TheTechRobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
thetechrobo.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Okay thanks! I'm pretty sure it's private keys, because otherwise the program would be useless (it's meant to get keys from your Wii without homebrew), so I'll take the safe route and blank the keys (except the MAC, to prove that it actually works (so I can download letterbomb with it and show, "that's letterbomb, it works".

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

TheTechRobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
thetechrobo.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Unrelated question, but if you have a way to load a custom binary (the key display tool), what's the point in using Letterbomb? Why not use that very same way to load the Hackmii Installer?

Maybe you misunderstood or I poorly explained. It's a Windows software that analyzes a savefile (and since they include/are signed with Wii keys, it can figure it out).

I hate Windows (I use debian btw), so the only Windows I have is XP. Luckily the software's a dinosaur so it works fine :lol:

Last edited by TheTechRobo,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wiimmfi uses way more information to identify a console than just the console ID. The console ID itself is not really something that needs to be kept secret.

Reactions: TheTechRobo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse