Is it safe to get rid of my mod by doing Nintendo's update?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Yrtko, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Yrtko
    OP

Newcomer Yrtko Newbie

United States
    I modded my Wii back in February only to play import discs. Now that I've beaten those, I have absolutely no need for the mod anymore. I'm buying a Wii U on Sunday and want to do the Wii to Wii U transfer right away, but I'm assuming it won't work quite right (or safely) with a modded Wii, so I'm interested in getting my Wii ready for the transfer now.

If it's as simple as updating with Nintendo's newest firmware, and as long as that's a safe thing to do, then I'll just do that.

I did do the system backup, but I don't even remember what method I used to mod, or what tutorial I followed, so I can't say much more than that. The particular mod I ended up using doesn't require me to boot the Homebrew Channel to play import discs, they just appear in the disc channel. I also did a mod that lets me take a modded Wii online, and there may have been something else, I can't remember. I think I changed the Wii's... ISO, I believe it was called?

Anyway, I might be able to check more details later, if need be, but if the simplest and safest thing to do is let the Nintendo update do its thing, then I'll do that. Otherwise, I'd like some advice! Thanks!

2. DDRPenguin

Member DDRPenguin GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    As an intermdiate, I will try to help, but there's the possibility I will be wrong.

Well it depends what you have done to your wii. From what I understand, updating installs the official IOSs again, replacing any homebrew IOSs, and installs stubs blocking homebrew. Most likely it will also remove the homebrew channel as well, thats as far as I know. This latest update doesn't appear to really major, at least not yet, it just installs Wii Shop Channel V21 and IOS62 (there is a thread about this already). Point being it will undo your soft-modding work.

I personally think its safe to do update...but really before you do, I gotta know what exactly you've done to get your wii to play import discs. (Priiloader, starpatch? etc.)
    As far as I know, we still don't know how exactly the wii to Wii U transfer is going to work as the system hasn't arrived yet. I would say wait until the Wii U comes out before you start doctoring your Wii, but its up to you.

3. Yrtko
    OP

Newcomer Yrtko Newbie

United States
    Much as I feel like I wanna transfer my Wii stuff to Wii U immediately, you're probably right, in that I should wait to hear about the experiences of the people more into the modding community. The main thing is, I want to get mine and my friends' Miis on the system before we play Nintendo Land, but I can take care of that simply enough by using the Mii-to-Wiimote technique (if that works on Wii U). I'm also dying to see how Virtual Console works, but I suppose I can hold off just a bit...

4. DDRPenguin

Member DDRPenguin GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Don't worry, there will be plenty of talk about the Wii to Wii U transferring process. No doubt it will be a popular topic as we get closer to the Wii U launch day. The Wii remote mii transfer should work actually, I would be surprised if the Wii U didn't read data off of the wii remote. That right there could be the best way to get Miis over safely in case you avoid the transfer.

I am sure VC will work about the same as in the Wii, nothing changes in the titles, just the way its launched I guess. (Compare DSi to 3DS...close to the same). Only time will tell, I am waiting it out too.