Hacking Is it safe to buy CycloDS now? o.=.o;;

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I have an R4 and I see how most cards today have moved on to SDHC support, which I too desire. I've been thinking of substituting my R4 for a better card, and well CDS has a very good reputation in terms of features, plus savegames are 100% compatible between the two. My question is, back when I was first buying the R4, I checked for the flashcards that are available on the market, and CDS had a nasty spot on its rep for breaking down quickly or just being DOA. It was back in december. Has their quality improved since?

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got a white CycloDS Evo from the new batch, and everything is working great. My only complaint is that the microSD protrudes slightly from the slot. Not a major issue, just an annoyance.

Functionally, everything is brilliant so far.

I still think the overall build quality is just mediocre for a Slot-1 card, but as long as it never causes me an issue, it'll be fine.

Now, the only issue you're going to have is finding one. I believe there was a bit of a run on them after the new copy-protection issues in FF:CC RoF. For instance, RHS is currently Out of Stock.

Good luck!

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searinox said:
I have an R4 and I see how most cards today have moved on to SDHC support, which I too desire. I've been thinking of substituting my R4 for a better card, and well CDS has a very good reputation in terms of features, plus savegames are 100% compatible between the two. My question is, back when I was first buying the R4, I checked for the flashcards that are available on the market, and CDS had a nasty spot on its rep for breaking down quickly or just being DOA. It was back in december. Has their quality improved since?
There's been a hardware re-design since then which is of MUCH higher reliability and build quality. I was one of the unfortunate people to receive a DOA Evolution(white) in December, but have since gotten a Black Evolution replacement which has worked flawlessly for almost a month now. (The current white ones are the same as the black, the only difference is the shell color.)

It's my favorite flash cart of the ones listed below in my sig.

Realhotstuff sells through every batch they get, usually within a few days to maybe a week or so, so they ALWAYS have the latest built Evolutions. most of the other online vendors are similar, or at least the decent ones.

SpectralSounds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my R4 from Realhotstuff which is why I went back to them to get my CycloDS.

Realhotstuff then tried to pull some shady stuff on me today. They sent me this email:

"Date Ordered: Friday 14 March, 2008

The comments for your order are

Sorry. CycloDS Evolution are out of stock.

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Backorder

Please reply to this email if you have any questions"

So, I email them back saying just how pissed I am that their site didnt say anything about being out of stock when I ordered and how they took my money anyway and blah blah blah.... I was really pissed.

Then, I get this email from them about an hour or two after I sent them my rant.

"Date Ordered: Friday 14 March, 2008

The comments for your order are

Your order will be shipped 3/17 by DHL Ground. Your tracking number is:
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Shipped

Please reply to this email if you have any questions."

So, Realhotstuff went from having it when I ordered it on the 14th, to NOT having it and expecting to just keep my money apparently until they got a new shipment in, to having it again and shipping it today.

I'm glad they have it and I'm getting it..... but I can't help but think this whole deal is a little suspect. Who knows, maybe they got another shipment of CycloDS in today... But, if they did their page is still saying it is out of stock.

daishadar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought the CycloDS Evolution (black) from RealHotStuff about a week ago. Must be part of the "new batch" that people are referring to. I think you can tell by the sticker on the flash cart- it doesn't have a bump under it, so I think that's the redesign. Anyways, it's everything I could have hoped for and more. I agree with a previous poster that the only thing I can think of that I don't like about it is that the microSD card sticks out a millimeter or two. Other than that, reliability has been perfect (and I've been using almost every feature on it non-stop), and usability is top notch. Auto DLDI patching, download play, very nice and simple GUI, solid save support... what more do you want?

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the new batch started shipping in December. The re-design was because of the faulty cards. You won't be getting a DOA, trust me. Go buy one now and enjoy its awesomenessesses.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason it seems that there were so many faulty units is because the people with the faulty units would register on the forums jsut to complain. All the other people with good Cyclos went on with their business.

As for RHS, they're great. I ordered my batch 2 Cyclo from them forever ago. They have very fast delivery.

leavemealone347

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got one about a week and a half ago. Its great. No problems whatsoever. Also the software is superior to that of other chips.

Also and always a plus: they speak English well, as they are based in America (I think, at least some English speaking country- not China)

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If TC and their vendors weren't confident in the quality of the re-design I seriously doubt that the vendors would've gone along with now being the main warranty providers.

Realhotstuff has it's own forum over at scdev.org . (They sponsor the site.)

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hlazlo said:
Is there a way to know for sure if I received an original CycloDS or the revision?

The newly-revised evolutions have been in production for about three months now, with the old ones being discontinued some time ago. You will get the newest version.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Okay it's sounding pretty confident. I guess I'm buying one.
biggrin.gif
Just one more question before I do: Does CDS work the with EZflash 3 in 1 slot-2 device?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: