Hacking Is it safe for me to use my GW card?

Edster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please help me understand if it is safe for me to use my GW card. I'm now too paranoid to use it. Hate to risk a brick although I have not done anything wrong.

I flashed my card with original ver. 1.0 from Gateway and then when Beta 1 or 2 (can't remember) came out I just copied the LAUNCHER.DAT file on the SD card to play some of the new games. I never bothered with the f/w emu etc.

Is the bricking code in the LAUNCHER.DAT file or in the actual flash?

I think I am safe but have no idea. I just pulled the card with I read the news and have not turned the unit on since. I never used any modified files etc. but that doesn't seem to matter on some units.

Thanks
Just trying to play safe.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No way man. Pokemon X has me addicted. Not a single report of bricking on 2.0b1 anyway.

*Currently enjoying all the benefits of not having a flashcart and not having to worry about such things* x'D

I had completely forgotten that the new games require the fake firmware in order to work on the old firmware.

shibi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please help me understand if it is safe for me to use my GW card. I'm now too paranoid to use it. Hate to risk a brick although I have not done anything wrong.

I flashed my card with original ver. 1.0 from Gateway and then when Beta 1 or 2 (can't remember) came out I just copied the LAUNCHER.DAT file on the SD card to play some of the new games. I never bothered with the f/w emu etc.

Is the bricking code in the LAUNCHER.DAT file or in the actual flash?

I think I am safe but have no idea. I just pulled the card with I read the news and have not turned the unit on since. I never used any modified files etc. but that doesn't seem to matter on some units.

Thanks
Just trying to play safe.

Trust Gateway. Just use the official files from their website http://www.gateway-3ds.com/. If you really want to avoid the alleged bricking issue, then stop using any flashcards and start buying retail games ;)

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Trust Gateway. Just use the official files from their website http://www.gateway-3ds.com/. If you really want to avoid the alleged bricking issue, then stop using any flashcards and start buying retail games ;)

I can't believe you're actually telling people to trust Gateway and use their latest firmware. In case you're out of the loop, several users that own a Gateway have had bricks, the best is to use the old firmware rather than the one they're saying. Seriously, their latest post is a cover up.

Anyway, OP, don't do as shibi just said, rather than that put the older firmware as the other members recommended.

Reactions: Cyberdrive

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
*Currently enjoying all the benefits of not having a flashcart and not having to worry about such things* x'D

I had completely forgotten that the new games require the fake firmware in order to work on the old firmware.
Exactly. Now that it's all set up, I don't have to worry about anything. I don't mind the fact that I helped support the one team actually making advancements in the 3DS scene. I'm just not going to have bricking code present on my 3DS, either.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Exactly. Now that it's all set up, I don't have to worry about anything. I don't mind the fact that I helped support the one team actually making advancements in the 3DS scene. I'm just not going to have bricking code present on my 3DS, either.

Yeah, I understand. I sure wouldn't put my baby in any harms way either (way too many hours spent on it), unfortunately there are some people who seem to be blinded and can't face the facts that there might actually be a risk in the latest firmware. Like the guy above. .-."

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States

Oh they're not the only team anymore. Check the "Homebrew Developments" thread, it's hot as fuck.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I scare easy being a pichu, I am going to stick with 2.0b1. If you like to evolve your pikachu to raichu with thunder stone, then by all means live dangerously use 2.0b2.

Seriously you should wait until software that is more stable is released. Until then you are taking a chance on bricking.

Edster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I should hold off as well. I think I did update the Launcher.dat file to beta 2 to play some of the new releases. Time to roll it back or wait for the official release of ver. 2. Hopefully it comes sometime soon and stops this bricking fiasco.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.