OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Turkey
I recently bought a used Wii from a relative of mine. Apparently, it can play games from DVD backups so it must be softmodded or so. But the short time I was able to try it on my relative's house I wasn't able to see anything different than normal (apart from there being two news and weather channels) Wii menu. Would it be safe for me to update the system to the latest version? I think the version on it is 4.2E. Thanks in advance.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I recently bought a used Wii from a relative of mine. Apparently, it can play games from DVD backups so it must be softmodded or so. But the short time I was able to try it on my relative's house I wasn't able to see anything different than normal (apart from there being two news and weather channels) Wii menu. Would it be safe for me to update the system to the latest version? I think the version on it is 4.2E. Thanks in advance.
4.3 doesn't add anything new other than attempts to block homebrew so there's no point in updating.

Reactions: CoolMe and KimKong

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It sounds like the console has a drivechip, the dual news and forecast channels comes from trying to run an out of region disc update (early on with drivechips, you couldn't bypass disc updates, so you had to let the update install at least partially in order to run some out of region games)

Reactions: Limoon

Limoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Turkey
It sounds like the console has a drivechip, the dual news and forecast channels comes from trying to run an out of region disc update (early on with drivechips, you couldn't bypass disc updates, so you had to let the update install at least partially in order to run some out of region games)
i suppose i wouldnt have any problems by softmodding it right? I'll use modmii and install homebrew channel etc once I get a HDMI adapter then
thanks a lot!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
On 4.2 you can't but you don't need to use letterbomb (aka wilbrand / mail bomb), there are other exploits to use, like bannerbomb v2. Letterbomb is more of a pain to set up in that it needs to be built customized for each console's Mac address, but bannerbomb doesn't require you to pull this info from the console, you can just run the same exploit on any 4.2 console (and bannerbomb v1 works on 4.1-3.x iirc). There are many disc based exploits, and more recently a couple SD-less exploits too (like str2hax and bluebomb)

Edit: don't worry, modmii will set you up with exploit(s) that will work for you when you tell it what firmware you're running

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night