Is it risky to buy a SKY3DS flashcard before knowing the firmware of the N3DS (Europe release)?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by hydro91, Jan 21, 2015.

1. hydro91
    OP

hydro91 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    Hey guys since the N3DS will be released on 13th of february (in Europe) I was wondering if it would be too risky to order the SKY3DS card before purchasing the handheld. Is it possible that Nintendo could patch the firmware until release in order to make the flashcard useless? I am asking because shipping of the SKY3DS takes about 2 to 3 weeks (according to the reseller) and I'd probably die waiting for it.
    PS: Maybe I should just freeze myself. (butters help me)

2. mrolive

mrolive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    Well, the Sky3DS has been out for about 4 months and Nintendo hasn't done anything yet. It could be unpatchable but until we get another 3DS firmware update, we won't know for sure. If the next firmware does NOT patch it. I think it's safe to say the Sky3DS is in the clear. However, no one knows what Nintendo could be cooking up.

hydro91 likes this.
  3. insidexdeath

insidexdeath .

Apr 13, 2010
    The devs at 3Dbrew did say it is patchable, which just leaves one explanation and that is Nintendo not caring much about piracy.

Margen67 and hydro91 like this.
  4. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    I'd say it's a really dumb decision in the long run, it's definitely patchable and unless Sky3DS comes out with some magical flasher file in the microSD, it's going to be a dead cart real quick. If it were like $10-$20 like all the R4 clones, I wouldn't be too mad. But a $80 investment is a bit much for me. I'd at least wait for Gateway to release their stuff and then compare/contrast.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. hydro91
    OP

hydro91 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2015
    Australia

but it would keep on working if I deny updates right?

6. w0dash

w0dash noob

May 29, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Sure.

hydro91 likes this.
  7. shinyquagsire23

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Yes, but if the game goes online you won't be able to use it in some games without updating the game first. And to do that, you have to use the eShop, which requires a system update. So kinda iffy there. If you play exclusively offline though, it's a viable solution.

hydro91 likes this.
  8. w0dash

w0dash noob

May 29, 2012
    Gambia, The

Oh, I didn't think about that...

9. mrolive

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    Is there a source for this? I see it mentioned all over the forums and yet I've never heard of the proof

10. hydro91
    OP

hydro91 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2015
    Australia

The same goes for GW though right?
    So you are saying that if GW comes up with a new flashcard
    it will be more reliable than the SKY3DS solution? Why would it be?

11. 2skies

2skies Advanced Member

Jan 19, 2015
    United States

Not necessarily. With Gateway, you can always "emulate" the newest firmware (emuNAND) and go online, etc. Gateway is the more feature-rich flash cartridge solution, and I would echo others' recommendations to wait for their update. Even if you have to play the waiting game for it to get to you, it's very much worthwhile, and you'll thank yourself.

12. shinyquagsire23

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    That's the thing though, Gateway hasn't released a new cart, Sky3DS released a new cart just because someone bypassed their 10 game limit. emuNAND is probably the big factor though, since you can stay on 9.2 or below on sysNAND while updating in emuNAND. Whichever way you go though, I'd recommend waiting and then comparing options.

13. NoSmokingBandit

NoSmokingBandit GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2009
    United States

Here is how this conversation goes:

Its sooooo easy to block, just one line of code!

If it is that easy to block why didn't nintendo do it in 9.3?

Well it might break other things if they block it.

So then it really isn't just "one line of code" is it?

BUT THE DEVS ARE GODS.

zfreeman, Ralph1611 and mrolive like this.
  14. mrolive

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    Was looking for this. If it was a one-line block, it would have been patched with Ninjhax.

15. bytor

bytor GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    You're better off getting yourself a Gateway because you can update it. I'm 99.9% certain that they will ship with 9.0 out of the box and you can set up EmuNAND to handle any updates once the Gateway team sort out support for the next official firmware update. You can already update your EmuNAND to 9.4 and Gateway are pretty quick at sorting out updates for EmuNAND.

If you get a Sky3DS flashcart it might be completely useless when 9.5 is released by Nintendo.

The only reason to get a Sky3DS flashcart instead of a Gateway is if you've already got a 3DS on 9.3 or 9.4...and the way that the Gateway team are going that advantage that the Sky3DS flashcart has currently may be gone if they find an exploit for 9.3 or above. And I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

16. shinyquagsire23

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    My guess is that Nintendo's R&D just didn't get far enough by the time they were about to ship 9.3 to actually block it, while neimod+others already had a good hardware setup and a sky3DS to test with. The issue with sky3DS is that it emulates a normal 3DS cart, but it doesn't emulate it perfectly, so some responses it returns aren't proper responses, so it's easy to block.

mrolive likes this.
  17. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen

It is just one line of code to block it, and several more lines of code to fix the many original games that also got blocked by that one line.

18. viral777

viral777 mecha connoisseur

Oct 19, 2009
    United States
    Okay Baldassano.

19. mrolive

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada

Well does anyone know how the hell a Sky3DS manages to do this? How would Nintendo even begin to patch this since it's obviously more than just a 1-line solution.

20. shinyquagsire23

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    It's possible that there's responses from normal carts which just aren't documented or even used. If Nintendo checks for one of these responses and it fails, then you can easily just block the cart. I believe this was the issue which neimod found with the sky3DS, just improper responses to certain queries.

Margen67 likes this.