Is it realistically possible for BotW to run at 60fps on Mariko Switches?

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the TX1 is rated for that, The problem is that the switch TX1 is not equivalent to the Nvidia shield. Also the switch just is not made for that type of power draw. Mariko (TX1+) due to it drawing substancially less power can go higher.
Even then, it doesn't matter if its on battery or not, power draw stays the same.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even then, it doesn't matter if its on battery or not, power draw stays the same.
It's not about that but rather if the battery can handle the extra discharge rate that is not designed to do...

It might start to heat up a lot which loses life and if it's too much it might start to balloon and eventually start smoking/explode...

Many devices even had problems at stock with their batteries which were clearly designed for lower output power than needed. Samsung, Nvidia shield tablet and many others...

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Its not charging or no charging it makes no difference. Now yes, battery will get damaged but honestly 921 already goes over the limits of the consoles rated power draw (18W).
But, when the unit is charging is it really drawing power from the battery still?
The thing is, when in handheld, if the power draw is greater than what the battery can provide the Switch will show a battery icon and instantly go to sleep. I've seen this when you force OC to dock clocks (with a limitless sysclk fork) in handheld without the charger.
Why would the console draw more power than its limit without turning itself off if the security measure is already coded into it for handheld mode? Isn't it really just taking power directly from the power cord?

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But, when the unit is charging is it really drawing power from the battery still?
The thing is, when in handheld, if the power draw is greater than what the battery can provide the Switch will show a battery icon and instantly go to sleep. I've seen this when you force OC to dock clocks (with a limitless sysclk fork) in handheld without the charger.
Why would the console draw more power than its limit without turning itself off if the security measure is already coded into it for handheld mode? Isn't it really just taking power directly from the power cord?
Again, Battery draw in this scenario doesn't matter. The battery low can happen on my erista with 1.7 921 @80%. And the battery low happens based from battery voltage, and i have seen 20+ Watts drawn from battery.

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Again, Battery draw in this scenario doesn't matter. The battery low can happen on my erista with 1.7 921 @80%. And the battery low happens based from battery voltage, and i have seen 20+ Watts drawn from battery.
Then, if not the battery, in the hypothetical scenario where you can control the temperatures, what are you really "killing" with high OC?

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is making me nervous about overclocking my Switch! lol
This is why i never bother with overclocking. You get one saying one thing and somebody saying the complete opposite. You don't know who to believe 🤣

Best playing it safe and not bothering at all 👍

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is making me nervous about overclocking my Switch! lol
don't be nervous just don't be dumb about it. overclocking is fine but thinking its ok to fully max clock without any thought put into it is not though which is what most of the community does. just look at the amount of people that go "HUR DUR I leave my switch max clocked 24/7 without damage so far HUR DUR"

Last edited by deathblade200,

iH8Ecchi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
This is why i never bother with overclocking. You get one saying one thing and somebody saying the complete opposite. You don't know who to believe 🤣

Best playing it safe and not bothering at all 👍

And at the same time there are barely anyone talking about how much power a Mariko unit draws or how high it can handle.
Like, is it safe to run a Mariko on 1326/768 on handheld without charger, or 1581/1305 on docked?

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And at the same time there are barely anyone talking about how much power a Mariko unit draws or how high it can handle.
Like, is it safe to run a Mariko on 1326/768 on handheld without charger, or 1581/1305 on docked?
better question is why do people have such a hard on for overclocking without it charging? it goes against logic

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably because they dont want to be tethered to a battery bank to get better performance
instead destroy their limited battery charge cycles sounds logical alright lol. I personally when not charging won't go above 1224/460/1862 (or for Mariko it would be 2133 RAM ) for the simple fact of wanting the battery to last longer than like an hour.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I dont find it logical either, but I can definitely see the appeal of having better performance without having to keep a usb-c cable and a 18+ watt power bank.
realistically the ram overclock alone makes up for most of the performance that would be lost. unless they are also trying to run a 60fps mod as well then they are just plain stupid far as I'm concerned

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you forgot to explain ,power draw on an erista vs power draw on a mariko are different due to die size

firstly the tegra 214 has a higher base gpu speed 1.267ghz like in video

second when they initially tested the power draw of the 210 vs 214 under the same load scenario brightness etc

the erista drew 13.3watts to 7watts theres a bunch more headroom available power wise

but yeah I wouldnt push an erista that hard

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the TX1 is rated for that, The problem is that the switch TX1 is not equivalent to the Nvidia shield. Also the switch just is not made for that type of power draw. Mariko (TX1+) due to it drawing substancially less power can go higher.
the irony of this statement when someone calls me out for it is that the my shield is the 2017 model, which is the X1, the X1+ has no bearing to the overclocked shield tv. What makes the SOC not equivalent. I have still yet have someone point out what part of the circuit would not allow for it.

I do see the idea that the other user points out on how the OS is designed to throttle when necessary, which is possible, however there exists Posts like this which seems to indicate that the switch does throttle (as any device normally should) soI haven't seen any real hard evidence that while under docked situations (would never run overclocked on battery) that it is a problem.

For reference, the fact that the SOC is the same is the reason why the switch, and other devices using tegra X1 were exploitable in the first place. (e.g pixel C, Shield TV)

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the irony of this statement when someone calls me out for it is that the my shield is the 2017 model, which is the X1, the X1+ has no bearing to the overclocked shield tv. What makes the SOC not equivalent. I have still yet have someone point out what part of the circuit would not allow for it.

I do see the idea that the other user points out on how the OS is designed to throttle when necessary, which is possible, however there exists Posts like this which seems to indicate that the switch does throttle (as any device normally should) soI haven't seen any real hard evidence that while under docked situations (would never run overclocked on battery) that it is a problem.

For reference, the fact that the SOC is the same is the reason why the switch, and other devices using tegra X1 were exploitable in the first place. (e.g pixel C, Shield TV)
please bring this argument to retronx so that CTCaer can rip you to shreds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1