Is it racist to say "black person"?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Jacklack3, Feb 21, 2018.

1. SG854

SG854 Ok

Feb 17, 2017
    Monaco
    Some even consider black not a color. And White is all colors mixed. Hold out a prism in the sun.

Theres White Boy. And Gringo (used for North Americans) in Spanish. Cracker. Honkey. And White people got no rhythm like Black people.

Last edited by SG854, Feb 22, 2018
  2. Fizzystar

Fizzystar Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2018
    Mexico
    It ain't racist, at least outside of tumblr.

Dr. Dew likes this.
  3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Don't try to be edgy

dpad_5678 and DRAGONBALLVINTAGE like this.
  4. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE Black Tempters Unite!

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    got a felling that this thread will close soon:unsure:

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. Fizzystar

Fizzystar Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2018
    Mexico
    >:v make me

Also inb4 closed.

Edit: Why does a simple question like this cause so much discord?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    That's not even CLOSE to what I said, lul! I'm not a filthy conservative. All I said was that we don't NEED to mention race in everyday conversations to our friends, etc. It doesn't have a purpose and the only outcome, if any, will be negative.

7. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    You just added "everday conversations to our friends, etc" :P you originally just said "talk about it". as in, at all. Glad to hear that wasn't your intent, though.

8. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Well, I guess that's enough GBAtemp for a while.

Fizzystar likes this.
  9. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trap

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    It wouldn't be racist. Because they're not actually black. Have you seen a color pallet before?

Joking aside, this world has gone to shit because everyone most people get offended by something or some word automatically, and have a senseless argument prepared in about 1.2secs.

But that's, like your, opinion... man.

Fizzystar likes this.
  10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Found a discussion about the dominant group nonsense I was on about earlier

Technically you could define a single word to mean that, such are the facilities of most languages.

Anyway it is more that it is generally held certain words and phrases come so very loaded with historical context/baggage that their use in polite conversation in present times is tricky. Relevant as of this conversation would be the word nigger... Chris Rock sketch on the matter because why not. Some others have also seen what might be feature creep of a sort, or might be tricky but not as tricky, for further words. Coon, cone, blackie, darkie and coloureds being among those in such a category depending upon where you are in the world (some of those are a bit more UK centric).
    Today we may or may not be seeing further additions to word lists. I am going with no for the question of the OP but if you are presently suffering the US school system, and all the fun and games we see going on there, I can see the OP having questions.

11. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    because technically, if you talk about colors as light with different wavelength and such, black isn't a color, its the absence of light, while white is all base colors overlapping.
    clearly, the term skincolor is not perfect, just as the warming of the globe isn't really what global warming is about.

and yes, there are racist terms for every race, that wasn't my point.

what i'm saying is, most people only go to superficial stuff like skincolor or eye shape when talking about people of other races, but would never do that when its about someone from their own.
    if you can talk about greg from accounting without mentioning he's white, you should be able to do the same with Jamal and Xin from public relations.

12. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    No. /end thread

13. cloudmaker

cloudmaker Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2016
    United States
    no. its normal. just like saying "asian person" "mexican"

14. Sathya

Sathya GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    i dont like if people says im a white or black person. because if we believe in good, truly we are same.

15. Cha0tic

Cha0tic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2013
    United States
    I’m not trying to offend anyone but it depends on the black person . Some won’t care, some if you mention there skin caller are ready to drop down there throat. It’s better to always say dark skinned to try to avoid anything imo

There nothing wrong with some people are in a nicer way to put ridiculous.

16. Whole lotta love

Whole lotta love GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2006
    United States
    No, but if you're identifying someone as black where there is no need, particularly in a way that fits a negative stereotype, then some may think you're racist.

For example...

Not racist: "My friend Mark will meet you at the airport, he's a black guy with long hair and a mustache"

Maybe racist: "I got mugged last night by a big black guy but the police caught him shortly after"

In the second example, including that it was a "black guy" that mugged you doesn't add any relevant information whereas the first one does (assuming you're in a place where black people are a minority)

Jacklack3 likes this.
  17. Judas18

Judas18 Queen Kunty

Jul 30, 2011
    England
    People want to be offended nowadays so that they can have some weird monopoly over being oppressed. Black is not an offensive term.

Jacklack3 likes this.
  18. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Well you're not allowed to say black paint. Now you gotta say "hey Tyrone, could you paint that wall over there?"

Jacklack3 likes this.
  19. Taebot64

Taebot64 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2017
    United States
    12 Street
    As a African American I have no problem this someone calling me a black kid

Giodude, TotalInsanity4 and Jacklack3 like this.
  20. dAVID_

dAVID_ Carpinter's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    Very soon, describing someone by having dark skin will also be racist!

Here in mexico, you can just describe someone by saying that black guy or "el moreno" (which is another way of saying it) and most likely people will see that as something normal, because it is.