Is it racist to say "black person"?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Jacklack3, Feb 21, 2018.

1. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I have to remark that the quoted post never said they "call" it a myth.

PS: I guess he means they believe it and act accordingly?

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    The worst ones, believe it or not, are the ones who will just say outright "yeah I'm racist, what about it? You should be more tolerant about my choices :trollface:"

dAVID_, CallmeBerto and dpad_5678 like this.
  3. SG854

SG854 프레데터

Feb 17, 2017
    Congo, Republic of the
    コンゴ共和国
    Ya he would've been beat anywhere else for acting like that. I don't know why they didn't defend themselves, especially when he was getting up in peoples faces and pushing and pulling people. Especially to defend that lady who was only offering him a seat. Well he probably knows what Niga means now. Imagine how embarrassed he must be after that.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I was not intending to read a different meaning into it and that was what I read in that.

I have seen people say the holocaust was a myth.
    A male-female wage gap has its existence questioned, with fairly compelling evidence from where I sit but different matter for a different thread.

I have seen people attempt to justify their dislike of different eye colour or whatever using all kinds of awful science, theoretical sources of morality, using a complete disregard of the underlying principles of stats and more.
    Ditto some for a given gender.
    Ditto some for a those that like to fumble genitals matching their own.

Never seen someone say or heavily imply any of those last three does not exist, or does not exist any more, similar to those first two though. I can't do much about what someone does in their head but the groups under discussion have never been shy, much less universally shy, about putting whatever else some find abominable to text and video yet. The extent, effects, applicability to their actions and more can and often are discussed all day long by some of those but the continued existence not so much.

Thinking further I would wonder if the poster I quoted had seen something like one of the ones where they say "racism is over and only a few backwater hillbillies and old people still go it", where they may perhaps be more of the opinion it, or at least its legacy, is still so very deeply entrenched in general society and the government thereof (something like http://www2.css.edu/app/depts/his/historyjournal/index.cfm?cat=7&art=312 perhaps).

Back on topic so to speak.
    As I did not see it mentioned it. The "everything is racist" set was discussed, I assume we have all seen the various definitions some of said same try on where a given *ism is defined as something only the dominant group in society can perform. Under that... logic then where black could be deemed racist it may in turn not be possible have white be a similarly racist term if white people are some kind of dominant force in the culture. I don't know how widespread such a notion is but it does seem to percolate up fairly often.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  5. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    I've encountered quite a few conservatives online that have explained to me that they feel that "the whole modern-day racism/homophobia lie was created by angry liberals so they'd have a reason to play the victim card".

Listen, I'm not saying everything is racist or discriminatory, but I do see quite a lot of it, and not only online.

Therefor as far as I'm concerned, it's still a big problem.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    Most blacks or negros give me mixed messages. Some say it's racist for me to call them black. While others will says it's racist to say negro. So I'm left with the situation of just avoiding even mentioning their race/skin color/ethnic backround at all costs.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    While I certainly don't plan to dismiss such things I do also have to say from where I sit there is a kernel of truth in that. If those that seem to have opposing such things as their raison d'etre keep wanting to invent new ways to call people *ist then we do get a bit of a "boy who cried wolf" issue.

So it's a big issue. Back to the raison d'etre types the moves made to combat it seem odd to me.

8. dpad_5678

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Saying negro (in English, I mean) I would say is DEFINITELY racist (not saying you had bad intentions) but that word has quite a history.

9. Lukerz

Lukerz Sloth. That's it.

Apr 24, 2017
    United States
    Maryland
    My friends at school call me white. I call them black. I think it just depends on the person your talking to.

10. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    I agree. If your an American citizen then that means your an American.

DrGreed likes this.
  11. tri_fin

tri_fin GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Are you seriously saying to someone who is considering whether using the term black is racist or not ought to start telling people to 'fuck off'? Maybe you like fighting but I would be surprised to see you tell that guy on the Korea bus video to 'fuck off'. I would be terrified if that was me. To be honest the video scared me - I would never go on a bus again if that happened.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I didn't mean it seriously, maybe I should have made that more clear. Just trying to make an example of how ridiculous it is. I would never actually say something like that to a stranger no matter what I think of them.

tri_fin likes this.
  13. erikas

erikas GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2015
    Why can a word be racist in the first place? You're racist if you think that other races are inferior or you ascribe stereotypical traits of a race to every individual of that race. Thats too much information to be expressed by a single word.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  14. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    Negro means black in Spanish...

15. dpad_5678

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    As I said, the more race is mentioned the more potential problems will be created. Keep race out of everything as much as possible and you'll have no problems, trust me. Simple.

sarkwalvein likes this.
  16. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 Vipera’s Alt

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    yes. I am aware.

17. SG854

SG854 프레데터

Feb 17, 2017
    Congo, Republic of the
    コンゴ共和国
    Heres a video of a Korean asking random black people if they know what niga (니가) means.

18. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    depends a lot on context and wether or not black person is the only thing you say. like, say you have had ample chance to learn that black persons name yet you still opt for black person whenever you talk about them.

its also subjective as to whom you adress, some might feel you're reducing them to nothing but skin color, as you'd otherwise probably never refer to some dude as the white person either.

osaka35 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  19. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    And what of those problems we currently have? Will they disappear if we don't acknowledge them?

20. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You never argued with someone who had a different opinion on you whether "the sum of all colors" and "the sum of no colors" are to be considered a color or not technically a color? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice