Hacking Is it possible to trim R4DS saves?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By default, every save file is 512k on an R4DS. Can they be trimmed down to what they are supposed to be for any given game without screwing up R4's saving abilities?

Couldn't the R4 team make a dat file or something so it doesn't have to create these huge save files all the time? Then, only newer games that haven't been added to the dat file yet would be 512k.

It's just annoying when you have 50 DS games on your card and 25megs of space is burned up on saves that are larger than they need to be.

If it IS possible to trim them, what program do I use to do it?

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, technically you could get them down to 256kb.. but I don't know if it would work.. well it should, but the R4 might add the empty bytes making it 512kb again. You can use a save converter and make it 256kb (choose raw save option) big, or you can manually remove the empty bytes in an hex editor.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Would an R4DS Save Trimmer/Expander be useful to you?
smile.gif

Regards.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
It is currently not possible to trim saves with an R4/M3Simply.
When this is attempted, the following error appears in a little box on loading the game:

Error
Save/bookmark files damaged
Please re-create the archive
OK(A)

Hitting OK brings you back to the game select menu.

blade85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats the point of trimming it anyway? 256K isnt much when you have 1GB to use on a microSD card

The only reason that i would ever trim it is if i had a lot of games/music/movies on it and i am running out of room, which would probably never happen lol

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats the point of trimming it anyway? 256K isnt much when you have 1GB to use on a microSD card

The only reason that i would ever trim it is if i had a lot of games/music/movies on it and i am running out of room, which would probably never happen lol

I've got a 2gig card in my R4.
wink.gif
(note sig)

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I pull a game out of my R4, I pull the save out too. Currently, I have 51 games in it, so that's 25.5MB of save files.

I use my SCminiSD for homebrew stuff, except SNESmulDS of course.

My PC has a 400gig harddrive in it, so I just store any unused games in that. I have an elaborate system (read: a complete mess) of folders for all my DS goodies. The biggest problem I have is deciding which games get yanked and which stay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1