Hacking Is it possible to transfer files over a lan-connection from

MrTnG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
your PC to your external HD plugged into your Wii? It'd be so much easier to create a shared folder on your homenetwork and just put all the wii games in there. Is there an app that can load Wii games from a shared network folder?

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EDIT: NVM i just got what you were trying to say.

I thought you were talking about loading games over wifi with a loader and playing them which is not possible
tongue.gif

MrTnG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmmz, but why not? Isn't there some app that can read data through a wireless/wired lan connection? Doesn't that have a capacity of 100mbps?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, most of the time the wii's ports are used in USB1.1 mode so the LAN adapter only gets 12mbps max. In practice it's closer to 8mbps.

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
No, most of the time the wii's ports are used in USB1.1 mode so the LAN adapter only gets 12mbps max. In practice it's closer to 8mbps.

You have to realize games are already being loaded from usb. So you can't really look at it that way. In theory I believe it is possible and has been talked about before many times (just not the most practical for the majority). I honestly don't know how much effort it would take to mount a shared folder vs mounting a folder from a usb drive. I wouldn't ASSuME it would take much... A better place for this would be in the backup loader subforum, and perhaps asking some of the authors of the usb loaders. Another problem would be streaming the games over wireless would most likely not be feasible (due to only wireless g, not to mention the wii wireless is HORRIBLE). People with usb -> ethernet perhaps, but not everyone has one. Also, most of the people coding the usb loaders are fairly strong against piracy, and having something like this, wouldn't make them feel any better about themselves or their projects.

Just my 2 cents,
Erik

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You have to realize that just because a cios can use USB2 to talk to a HDD, it has no idea how to talk to the LAN adapter. First you need to write a hardware driver, then implement an IP stack, then decide on a protocol...

MrTnG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I believe the most common protocol Windows uses...

(I really REALLY like loading roms from a shared folder instead of constantly dragging the external HDD back and forth between my wii and my pc and I also rather not dedicate an entire external to Wii roms alone)

is TCP/IP. And currently I'm looking more at wireless transfer than plugging in a lan-adapter. I've already begun looking into some tutorials and I believe if you just use the Winsock library it should be feasible. I dont think the TCP/IP protocol would be the bottleneck in datatransfer. Also the drive where the roms are stored shouldn't be a bottleneck. I'm just not too sure what the capacity of wireless lan is (I thought it was 100mbps?), what speed the Wii needs to load roms at and what the max transfer capacity of the wii wireless adapter is.

But since I've read Wii wireless sucks major balls.... Is that a software or a hardware limitation btw? Are the drivers for the wireless lan adapter just crappy or is it the adapter itself?

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
You have to realize that just because a cios can use USB2 to talk to a HDD, it has no idea how to talk to the LAN adapter. First you need to write a hardware driver, then implement an IP stack, then decide on a protocol...

I understand all that (even though my post may have been misguided at 4AM). But you saying because it sees it as a USB1.1 it isn't possible, is simply not enough reason to rule it out.

-Erik

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Oh? What did you take to get Hi? :angry: