Is it Possible to Run New 3DS Games on a an Original 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Awesomekid956000, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Awesomekid956000
    OP

Awesomekid956000 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    I know why they were made for new 3ds exclusively, from not having all the buttons, to the crummy framerate. Is it possible to get around the block keeping me from running a vc snes game, or minecraft?

2. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    Even if you could get around the block, the games would be completely unplayable due to just how low the framerate would be. Even with SNES VC, disabling the faster new 3DS cpu speeds causes it to become unplayably slow. Anything else would probably drop to at least 1 spf.

wad11656 and zacchi4k like this.
  3. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    If you want to play snes games on o3ds you don't have to use the official new 3ds exclusive nintendo snes emulator you can use blargsnes or the snes9x 3ds port. And you can play new 3ds games like xenoblade or minecraft on o3ds but without the new 3ds extra power they become really laggy and kinda unplayable

Last edited by Eddypikachu, Sep 26, 2018
    SCOTT0852 and wad11656 like this.
  4. E1ite007

E1ite007 GBATemp's Acid Techno DJ And Producer

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    Actually, people has made tests (matching the CPU speed to the o3DS' and disabling the extra cache) and it runs… not at 1SPF, but more like 12FPS. Not playable, but... yeah, pretty much like crap.

5. Awesomekid956000
    OP

Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    I mean I'm not looking to run snes games on an old 3ds, esspecially since I got a new 3ds. I just wanted to know case the worst happens.

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    New 3DS game on old 3DS would just get horrible frame rate, totally unplayable.

7. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    If you run Xenoblade Chronicles 3D at O3DS clock speeds yoully get something thatst less than a quarter of the speed IIRC. New 3DS can't use NTR/other CFW video capture options with the game without making it lag because it seriously needs that much power.

8. Awesomekid956000
    OP

Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    Oh, so the only way to play the game with a good framerate would be emulating it on pc?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also what's SPF is it backwards for Frames per Second, or something else is happening

9. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Just get a N3DS if you want to play Xenoblade Chronicle. Citra on PC lag too.

10. Awesomekid956000
    OP

Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    No I mean to record it

11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Unless you want to pay for a real capture card like Katsukity or Loopy, capture streaming via NTR CFW still lag too.

12. Awesomekid956000
    OP

Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    Yeah it's just a little interesting, now this makes me want to look into how a real capture card works. Of course I won't use it for anything so I won't buy it. Still it's interesting.

13. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    That would depend on emulator optimization and PC specs. I wouldn't expect Xenoblade Chronicles to be playable on Citra for a long time.

14. KyoLikesTrees

KyoLikesTrees Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2018
    Austria
    Seconds per frame I guess?

15. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    The games would be nearly unplayable on the old3DS

I don't think it would be possible to actually port them over without the source code. The games check for specific hardware exclusive to the new3DS hardware, like the Quad-Code CPU. Without that hardware, it simply won't boot the game. Nintendo put measures in place to make it near impossible to just brute for the game to work.

16. Izual Urashima

Izual Urashima GBAtemp Regular

Sep 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Between here and there
    To be honest, N3DS games aren't really worth it outside of Xenoblade. The Binding of Isaac Rebirth is full of bugs and badly optimized things, and lacks Afterbirth, Afterbirth+ and obviously the incoming update, while Minecraft is just better on PC due to the addition of mods.

larrypretty and KyoLikesTrees like this.
  17. Subötaï

Subötaï GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2016
    it turned out possible

18. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    If you actually watch the video you'll see how the audio sounds corrupted because the old 3DS just can't keep up, not to mention it crashes before even getting into the actual game.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted