Is it possible to run .nds files yet directly on the 3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Chrisssj2, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Without my supercard DSTWO but install them as .cia..?

2. Imacaredformy2ds

Imacaredformy2ds Smartass

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
  3. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2016
    Bangladesh
    Not here
  4. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Native rom loading from sd card isn't yet possible to be stable

NoNAND likes this.
  5. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Can't load commercial ds ROMs, at least not the way your asking for it anyway.
    Closest we got is the program @Clector linked.

6. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    Not yet

7. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Not yet. Makes it sound as it is possibly being worked on..?
    I checked the link, and those games seem to be commercial games..?

8. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Actually you can make .cia of fowarders of them but with bootstrap being updated so much its pointless.

9. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Ah so there loaded directly from the SD. But that actually doesnt matter to me if there are installed as a cia or just loaded.
    So let me get this straight, it is possible from SD directly but not via CIA installation?

10. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    You can try forwader nds channels.

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    its *possible* but very crude and more of a PoC at this stage, I don't think anyone should bother making the effort to try pack it all up into a self contained .cia file as the performance (last time i checked) wasn't really anywhere near the level you would want to have it installed, if/when games actually run without 5 minute loading pauses or random crashes or with the ability to save properly and it works for more than a handful of games.....then I imagine trying to pack them up into standalone cia files might be worth the effort,

I would just stick to your DSTWO for now

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jan 27, 2017
  12. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, some of the older commercial games work but they will often have very slow loading times and it is hit and miss whether they will save or not.

Chrisssj2 likes this.
  13. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    So but i can take from this, this is in development?
    What about things like cheats and realtime saves, or would that be too early to speak off?
    I can be patient. but my supercard DSTWO seems to be failing so thats why im curious

Last edited by Chrisssj2, Jan 27, 2017
  14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    It's barely functional as it is, I personally don't see it ever being a viable nds flashcard replacement unless some seriously talented devs put a lot of work into it,
    if your not too bothered about playing nds games and your more than happy to be waiting months-forever for a fully featured nds flash card replacement, then by all means just wait and keep checking.

but if you ask because you actually have games you want to play and the dstwo is really not working properly I would suggest you buy a cheap R4 card, or even if you have a old original r4 card from the original nds there is launchers that can make those work on the 3ds

(Ps this is my honest opinion, it's not intended to cause any offence to the devs involved, it's cool they are trying to do it, I'm just trying to avoid shoving unrealistic expectations on them as many people tend to promise/imply there will be massive developments in the immediate future, this "it's on it's way, go spam this thread, asking for release dates and ETA's" has been going on for over a year now in regards to nds rom loading, I think it's better we don't direct people expecting working solutions to a very very early wip thread that isn't anywhere near the level of being usable

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jan 28, 2017
    Xiphiidae and Chrisssj2 like this.
  15. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Btw i also have blue gatway card, doesnt that work as nds emulator too i remember something of the like?
    Ah ok. well ill just keep on checking iguess. my nds games are on my later to do list anyway. first 3ds and vita
    I am just amazed at how far 3ds has come. and im sure one day it will be more workable. i have faith.

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah, the gateway blue card is a standard nds flashcard, it will work fine on luma