Gaming Is it possible to run dolphin(ngc/wii emulator)?

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It works perfectly on Linux, running the wind waker 1080p
Is that illegal both to Sony and Nintendo
c3465d5adf1072469f5459e6e035f90f.jpg

Attachments

• ac3f34f7801daeea5bb23b0f22434b5a.jpg
    ac3f34f7801daeea5bb23b0f22434b5a.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 327
  • df9c226b6addcf098b1f93e009c30ab1.jpg
    df9c226b6addcf098b1f93e009c30ab1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 614

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it were hypothetically ported to the PS4, I imagine it's CPU wouldn't be very good for dolphin. If you want to run games in 1080p at full speed, you need a top of the line CPU, and you're not gonna find that in consoles.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What will kill off any sort of PS2 or GC or Xbox emulation on the PS4 is the single threaded performance....

Trying to get a 1.6Ghz X86-64 chip to emulate a PPC chip with any sort of speed is going to be a tall order, and no the extra cores really will not help with that problem.

I guess a more in depth explanation of the problem (I just know I am going to botch this all to hell.) is that to emulate a single core processor you can't run that single core across multiple cores to gain more speed. It would require each core to know what the other cores was doing in real time and to know the branch prediction of each core. Pretty much impossible.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
What will kill off any sort of PS2 or GC or Xbox emulation on the PS4 is the single threaded performance....

Trying to get a 1.6Ghz X86-64 chip to emulate a PPC chip with any sort of speed is going to be a tall order, and no the extra cores really will not help with that problem.

I guess a more in depth explanation of the problem (I just know I am going to botch this all to hell.) is that to emulate a single core processor you can't run that single core across multiple cores to gain more speed. It would require each core to know what the other cores was doing in real time and to know the branch prediction of each core. Pretty much impossible.

I was under the impression that the CPU in the PS4 was able to clock itself up to 2.75GHz when under heavy use? I swear I've read that or heard it somewhere before...

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that the CPU in the PS4 was able to clock itself up to 2.75GHz when under heavy use? I swear I've read that or heard it somewhere before...

On the PC AMD's CPU's have this ability to "turbo" I haven't read anything to indicate the PS4 or Xbox One can do the same trick.

How that is accomplished on the PC is by shutting down or down clocking some of the cores so instead of all 8 cores putting out X watts of heat you have less cores putting out the same watts of heat so you can up clock them. So if your heat sink can soak up 100 watts you can pick running all 8 cores at 3Ghz or 4 cores running at close to 5Ghz. Handy if your game only supports 1 or 2 cores.

I don't see why they wouldn't include that ability on the consoles, but maybe AMD didn't sell them those types of chips? (Not sure how expensive it is in terms of silicon real estate since it requires at least a thermal diode on each core? With out doing some research I am grasping at straws here.)

Even if that is the case, it's no match for the intel i5 or i7 that you need to get the kind of performance the OP is looking for.

Very true, the CPU in the PS4 and the Xbox One is not even a full performance AMD core like Vishera or Zambezi they are AMD's low end CPU's. The new consoles are not designed around the CPU. They instead lean on really fantastic GPU's to do the majority of the work.

We sort of have stepped back in time, the NEC TG-16 had a 16 bit GPU with an 8 bit CPU (the same CPU the NES had, well sort of it.... it ran a little faster?)

Great for games made and designed for these consoles, less so if your trying to make the console emulate something that was designed in the old style of powerful CPU's combined with mid to low end GPU's.

Edit: I should put in some sort of disclaimer here... lol I am not a computer scientist just an avid hobbyist who does enjoy the nuts and bolts of how CPU's and GPU's operate. So take what I am saying as it is, most of it is probably correct but specific details may not be exact. (for instance the 3Ghz to 5GHz thing. It really depends on the model, how many NM's the chip is, liquid or air cooled, a lot of variables.)

Edit 2: Adding a little bit of complexity to the issue here is that PPC code tends to be more compact than X86 instructions. Usually 50%+ on average, so an emulator would need to translate those instructions into X86 code and that makes emulation a lot tougher. Spending more time translating instructions.

I do think that a Xbox (original) emulator might be easier to pull off in this case. That would be pretty interesting playing Halo 1 and 2 on the PS4.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
APU used in PS4 and X1 is incapable of turbo clocking.

Like others have said, even if it were to be capable of turbo clocking it is vastly inferior to regular desktop CPU/APU. AMD Jaguar is an embedded APU, with major focus on energy efficiency rather than performance.

Just because clock speed has gone up to match desktop counterpart doesn't mean performance is equally matched.

Side note: People really need to stop with threads like "is system A capable of running emulator of system B?".

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Didn't they say that N64 emulation on PSP was impossible.

Honestly, if they get the same compatibility as Daedalus on PSP then I'd call it a emulator.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am interested, but I have nothing to offer. Again, my concerns would be about certain motion controls being mapped to a Duelshock 4... but I guess that could be done. The little touch pad will probably be pretty useful.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.