Hacking Is it possible to restore NAND from a different FW versions?

Khar00f

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good day everyone,

I'm curious about a situation amd your input would be appreciated.

I have a NSW console that I have been using for homebrew, NSP installs and XCI loading.

That console doesn't have any NNID associated to it, I don't use it for online play (clearly), but it is connected to WiFi where I do system updates and game updates.

So far it has not been banned and everything is working great.

For context, I am using SX-OS for all my games as I prefer XCI loading but I also have some NSP's installed through SX-OS.

When I first got this console, the first thing I did was update to latest firmware 5.1.0 and do a full NAND backup using Hekate.

Now the console has been recently updated to 6.0 and I'm wondering since the backup was done on 5.1.0 and 6.0 was already soiled, I clearly can't do a clean backup of 6.0 NAND and I don't know if i can restore the 5.1.0 backup, I know i can't revert back to 5.1.0 (due to blown fuses) but is there any way to clean the NAND with the clean backup that I have and do a factory restore?

My main concern is the telemetry report and from my readings iiiittt can only be cleaned by a clean NAND backup (which I have) but not for the right firmware.

What are your thoughts?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your only option for a clean NAND is to restore the NAND backup from 5.1 (along with the boot0/boot1 since these are also firmware specific), update to firmware 6.0 again but offline via homebrew. However who knows if the homebrew will taint the NAND to that point that it can be detected by Nintendo.

Reactions: Craftyawesome

Khar00f

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your only option for a clean NAND is to restore the NAND backup from 5.1 (along with the boot0/boot1 since these are also firmware specific), update to firmware 6.0 again but offline via homebrew. However who knows if the homebrew will taint the NAND to that point that it can be detected by Nintendo.

Wouldn't restoring the NAND mean downgrading to 5.1.0 and since the fuses are blown that wouldn't be possible?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't restoring the NAND mean downgrading to 5.1.0 and since the fuses are blown that wouldn't be possible?
No because we can bypass the fuse check which we've been doing for months now and is standard for payloads that double as bootloaders. That's how we are able to load firmwares higher than our fuse count (for people who updated without burning fuses); the same principle can be applied if your fuse count is lower than your firmware. However in that case, you lose access to sleep mode which is a minor issue since you're going to be temporarily downgrading to firmware 5.1

Khar00f

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No because we can bypass the fuse check which we've been doing for months now and is standard for payloads that double as bootloaders. That's how we are able to load firmwares higher than our fuse count (for people who updated without burning fuses); the same principle can be applied if your fuse count is lower than your firmware. However in that case, you lose access to sleep mode which is a minor issue since you're going to be temporarily downgrading to firmware 5.1

Thanks for the info,

Why would we lose access to sleep mode?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info,

Why would we lose access to sleep mode?
When the console goes into a sleep mode, there's a check when you try to wake it up. This check involves looking at the number of fuses burnt and the current firmware. If it sees that the fuse count is higher than the firmware, it will refuse to wake up and end up soft-locked (which a manual shutdown can fix).

Reactions: panckage

Khar00f

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When the console goes into a sleep mode, there's a check when you try to wake it up. This check involves looking at the number of fuses burnt and the current firmware. If it sees that the fuse count is higher than the firmware, it will refuse to wake up and end up soft-locked (which a manual shutdown can fix).

So what you've saying is, i should backup my saves.

Restore my old NAND, do an official update to 6.0 and redo a full backup of my NAND. This way i can have a clean 6.0 NAND.

Would you recommend at that point to use SX-OS's emuNAND ftre this way my original NAND remains cleans (as it's been confirmed to be a container within the original NAND) and do you know if it has it's own telemetry report or shares the same one as the original NAND?

Thank you for all the clarifications and your help,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you've saying is, i should backup my saves.

Restore my old NAND, do an official update to 6.0 and redo a full backup of my NAND. This way i can have a clean 6.0 NAND.

Would you recommend at that point to use SX-OS's emuNAND ftre this way my original NAND remains cleans (as it's been confirmed to be a container within the original NAND) and do you know if it has it's own telemetry report or shares the same one as the original NAND?

Thank you for all the clarifications and your help,
I personally would never use SX's EmuNAND since it creates a file in your NAND that Nintendo may be able to detect (hence why those users prefer .XCI files since they do not write to the NAND). At the same time, I have no proof it is unsafe so I would prefer if someone were to be a guinea pig for me, for lack of a better term. Outside of that, yes you would have to restore your old clean, hack-free NAND, update to 6.0 again using ChoiDujourNX/ChoiDujour (do not do an official update since Nintendo believes your console to be on firmware 6.0 not 5.1), then backup the NAND again.

Reactions: Khar00f

Khar00f

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally would never use SX's EmuNAND since it creates a file in your NAND that Nintendo may be able to detect (hence why those users prefer .XCI files since they do not write to the NAND). At the same time, I have no proof it is unsafe so I would prefer if someone were to be a guinea pig for me, for lack of a better term. Outside of that, yes you would have to restore your old clean, hack-free NAND, update to 6.0 again using ChoiDujourNX/ChoiDujour (do not do an official update since Nintendo believes your console to be on firmware 6.0 not 5.1), then backup the NAND again.

Perfect thank you for all your help, I'll pinder my options and see what to do, as I have immediate use for that process right now, maybe I'll wait for a proper EMUNAND first before doing all I'll this.

Thanks again,

Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end