Homebrew Is it possible to recover from a bricked 2ds after installing arm9loaderhax?

Genitez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i followed every step of this guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax) and at
Section III - Configuring Luma3DS part 1 my 3ds just got a permanent black screen without even the light turning on.. and this happens with sd,witouth sd,while i press select as said in the guide.. and pretty much with all the possible solutions i found on google.

so my question is,can i recover from a old sysNAND i backup before even when my 3ds can't turn on in any way?

the cause maybe can be that in the arm9loaderhax download page i downloaded the nonscreeinit https://github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/releases
non screen init means is normal to have permanent screen non initiate aka always black?

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try putting the decrypt9 arm9loaderhax bin on the SD card as the ordinary payload. If that won't work you may have bricked rather than installed a9lh

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is the reason why I'm hesitant to follow the guide and install A9LH, because even if you follow the guide you still brick. The guide isn't brick proof. At least with downgrading if you do everything correctly the worst that can happen is getting a soft brick.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your doing something wrong if your that far into the guide you already have Arm9loaderhax installed recheck you have all the right files on a freshly formatted SD.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just curios while on 2.1 did you close your lid or put the console to sleep?

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is the reason why I'm hesitant to follow the guide and install A9LH, because even if you follow the guide you still brick. The guide isn't brick proof. At least with downgrading if you do everything correctly the worst that can happen is getting a soft brick.
The chance of something going wrong is practically none at all. You'd have about the same chance of the nearest electrical socket in the room shooting electricity across the room and zapping you. 999/1000 times when someone bricks installing a9lh, they did something wrong. The only time this is not the case is if you have made some serious mods to your 3DS' NAND BEFORE installing a9lh. This COULD cause some unpredictable problems depending on what you have edited, but I'd say the vast majority of users haven't made any serious NAND mods. I have personally hacked 12 3DS systems, 2 old and 10 new, and not had a single brick or problem.

Now, realistically, COULD some freak accident happen and brick your system during the install? Sure... The battery could jiggle lose, or your sd card. Maybe there is a read / write error on the sd, who knows? But that's a pretty small chance. There is nothing wrong with menuhax as long as you're happy with it (I'm assuming this is what you have) but a9lh does offer some GREAT features, most importantly, making your 3DS both brick proof and future proof (nintendo patches). Those 2 reasons alone were all I needed to be convinced to make the switch, never mind everything else it can do.

My intent here isn't to convince you to install a9lh, though I do STRONGLY recommend it. My intent is simply to let you know that the install process is much more stable than you seem to think. Bricks are very, VERY rare, unless the user does something wrong. I have no clue what the OP here did to his/her system.... USUALLY when you brick while installing a9lh, it will power on (blue power LED) and the LED will stay on, but the screen will stay black. OP's system won't even turn on..... that's REALLY not good.... No clue what (s)he did... I've never even heard of anything like this happening before.

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The chance of something going wrong is practically none at all. You'd have about the same chance of the nearest electrical socket in the room shooting electricity across the room and zapping you. 999/1000 times when someone bricks installing a9lh, they did something wrong. The only time this is not the case is if you have made some serious mods to your 3DS' NAND BEFORE installing a9lh. This COULD cause some unpredictable problems depending on what you have edited, but I'd say the vast majority of users haven't made any serious NAND mods. I have personally hacked 12 3DS systems, 2 old and 10 new, and not had a single brick or problem.

Now, realistically, COULD some freak accident happen and brick your system during the install? Sure... The battery could jiggle lose, or your sd card. Maybe there is a read / write error on the sd, who knows? But that's a pretty small chance. There is nothing wrong with menuhax as long as you're happy with it (I'm assuming this is what you have) but a9lh does offer some GREAT features, most importantly, making your 3DS both brick proof and future proof (nintendo patches). Those 2 reasons alone were all I needed to be convinced to make the switch, never mind everything else it can do.

My intent here isn't to convince you to install a9lh, though I do STRONGLY recommend it. My intent is simply to let you know that the install process is much more stable than you seem to think. Bricks are very, VERY rare, unless the user does something wrong. I have no clue what the OP here did to his/her system.... USUALLY when you brick while installing a9lh, it will power on (blue power LED) and the LED will stay on, but the screen will stay black. OP's system won't even turn on..... that's REALLY not good.... No clue what (s)he did... I've never even heard of anything like this happening before.
I understand that, and I do have auto menuhax + Luma3DS set up. I like it alot, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't emuNAND just as safe from Nintendo as A9LH is? I know A9LH has more advantages over emuNAND, but in terms of being protected from the updates Nintendo sends isn't it about the same?

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usually if the light comes on and then immedieatly goes off again it means that arm9loaderhax.bin can't be found on the sd card or is corrupted.

Reactions: Koko-Kun

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the SD card is all the way in. I had this issue when I was downgrading my 3DS. It's the little things that mess you up. :P

Reactions: Seriel

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that, and I do have auto menuhax + Luma3DS set up. I like it alot, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't emuNAND just as safe from Nintendo as A9LH is? I know A9LH has more advantages over emuNAND, but in terms of being protected from the updates Nintendo sends isn't it about the same?
For the most part, yes. The thing that worries me about emuNAND is that you still have a 9.2 sysNAND without CFW. The CFW is what protect files such as your NATIVE_FIRM. If Nintendo ever finds/uses a way to access your sysNAND, they could remove your hacks in theory. I wouldn't really be worried about it though, that sort of thing really doesn't fit Nintendo's M.O.

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the most part, yes. The thing that worries me about emuNAND is that you still have a 9.2 sysNAND without CFW. The CFW is what protect files such as your NATIVE_FIRM. If Nintendo ever finds/uses a way to access your sysNAND, they could remove your hacks in theory. I wouldn't really be worried about it though, that sort of thing really doesn't fit Nintendo's M.O.
True, although I did read an article how they bricked a few wiis years ago because they were trying to remove hacks from it, and it affected legit users.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also if you temporarily boot into the sysnand there is always the risk that they could pull a forced update on you.
But again that isn't their style.
Also there is the risk of accidently updating sysnand and screwing yourself over.

and it affected legit users.
I think this is one of the main reasons why they don't do this kinda thing, they don't like to affect legit users.

Reactions: wormdood

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if you temporarily boot into the sysnand there is always the risk that they could pull a forced update on you.
But again that isn't their style.
Also there is the risk of accidently updating sysnand and screwing yourself over.
But you need to have Internet in order to do that, and I didn't set up an Internet connection on sysNAND, only emuNAND, and they're not linked together.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, although I did read an article how they bricked a few wiis years ago because they were trying to remove hacks from it, and it affected legit users.
Oh wow, I didn't hear of that. I'll have to google it now, lol. But that's exactly what I mean. With a 9.2 sysNAND they could in theory mess with your system, whereas with updated sysNAND mode on a9lh, it would be both impossible, and even if they did you could simply restore a previous NAND backup and promptly give Nintendo the finger.

Reactions: Seriel

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But you need to have Internet in order to do that, and I didn't set up an Internet connection on sysNAND, only emuNAND, and they're not linked together.
Haha nice one.
*has never thought of that*
Did you also go into recovery mode temporarily to remove any currently downloaded updates?

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, I didn't hear of that. I'll have to google it now, lol. But that's exactly what I mean. With a 9.2 sysNAND they could in theory mess with your system, whereas with updated sysNAND mode on a9lh, it would be both impossible, and even if they did you could simply restore a previous NAND backup and promptly give Nintendo the finger.
Here you go. Saved you the trouble. :) http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nintendo-Wii-COnsole-Update-Bricked,news-4768.html

Haha nice one.
*has never thought of that*
Did you also go into recovery mode temporarily to remove any currently downloaded updates?
No, I didn't do that. I didn't think that was important lol.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already reading about it, lol. Apparently according to another article, Nintendo did eventually fix legit users' systems for free... but holy crap. Kind of a good thing this happened when you think about it, though. This means Nintendo probably won't attempt something like this again.... but you never know.
Yeah, that's pretty scary. I wonder if they ever took the update offline and uploaded a new one.

Zan'

2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F
Trophies
XP
Country
i followed every step of this guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax) and at
Section III - Configuring Luma3DS part 1 my 3ds just got a permanent black screen without even the light turning on.. and this happens with sd,witouth sd,while i press select as said in the guide.. and pretty much with all the possible solutions i found on google.

so my question is,can i recover from a old sysNAND i backup before even when my 3ds can't turn on in any way?

the cause maybe can be that in the arm9loaderhax download page i downloaded the nonscreeinit https://github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/releases
non screen init means is normal to have permanent screen non initiate aka always black?
So this happened basically directly after the A9LH Install process on 2.1 SysNAND?
Can you confirm that no errors popped up during the installation process and that the 2DS did shutdown due to the installation being finished and not manually or forced due to battery or anything else.

Which installer and which files did you use? (I assume the 2.0 installer and the files Plailect provided. Confirm this please)

If you can confirm the above parts, A9LH should be succesfully installed. Could you please list the contents on the root of your SD Card in that case? Also check you Luma folder. If there already is a config file in your Luma folder, delete it.

Because you downloaded the non-screeninit version I am not sure if you can run Decrypt9 as Arm9LoaderHax.bin, which is why Luma would be required.

Please make sure your Luma3DS is set up correctly. Then get yourself Decrypt9 and put the *bin file as x_D9.bin in /luma/payloads
If you did that try booting your 3DS while holding your X Button. If Decrypt9 shows up feel free to restore a NAND with a version above 4.5 (keep A9LH).

If you are certain luma is set up correctly (and you are using the latest version). You may have bricked during the installation of A9LH. To recover from this you would require a Hardmod. However this is highly unlikel, so please recheck your SD Card and Luma setup before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: