Is it possible to re-encrypt a NAND dump from one Wii to another?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drfsupercenter, Dec 1, 2014.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Given the failure of my previous threads (see here), I thought I'd take a different approach.

My sisters have a Wii that has never been hacked before. They only use it to play Just Dance and similar games (Wii Fit and such too), and I recently updated it to 4.3U for them using Wi-Fi.

So while I was home over Thanksgiving, I did the Smash Stack exploit and ran the HackMii installer. Installed The Homebrew Channel and BootMii as an IOS (their Wii is a newer one without a vulnerable boot2), and rebooted the system.

Started it in maintenance mode (you know, pressing + and - while pressing A on the Wii Remote) and opened up HBC, then BootMii and made a NAND backup. Oddly, Super Smash Bros. Brawl showed up in the message board play history even in maintenance mode, but not HBC.
    Anyway, after I did that, using BootMii I returned to HBC, ran the HackMii installer a third time (BootMii rebooted it so I had to do HBC using Stack Smash again) and removed both BootMii and the HBC.

Upon power cycling, no more HBC and it didn't show up in my play history either (probably because deleting the ticket would remove that or something)

So, two questions.

1. Can I decrypt that NAND dump using the keys.bin I was given, and then re-encrypt it to my older Wii's keys?
    2. I'm sure just installing and uninstalling HBC by itself is fairly harmless, since the tickets would be wiped with a system format anyway, but what about BootMii? When installed as an IOS and then uninstalled, does it leave anything behind that a system format wouldn't fix?

2. Oxybelis

Oxybelis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2010
    Margen67 likes this.
  3. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
  4. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    Bushing created a tool called biitween (or betwiin) that can do that but it is slow and doesn't handle bad blocks. giantpune also created a similar tool that does go much faster and does handle bad blocks, although I forget the name.

5. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Does giantpune use these forums anymore? I would like to know what this software is called...

6. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    I highly doubt it. He has better things to do.

7. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    punetwiin is the name.