Is it possible to purchase Download Key for console store services? (Eshop, ps store, xbox market)

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I was curious if there was ways to obtain a download key for games on consoles, If i wanted to get a game that is on sale for someone. I know steam has steam trading where you can give friends games or trade them or just use the download keys from other vendor sources like the GOG or amazon, but what about like Nintendo playstation and xbox?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Nope, none of the big three have a "Gift" option for digital games on their own stores.

Most likely to stop resellers from buying games cheap on sale and selling them later for profit.

3. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Amazon gives you a digital key if you buy eShop games from them.

4. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Sites like Amazon sell download keys for games, so if you find a deal there, you could send that code. But afaik, I don't think it's possible on PSN or XBLive. As for the eShop, can you buy games through their website? Doesn't that give you a code? If not, then no, I don't think there's a way. It should really be an option! I can see the downsides, though. On Steam, almost all games are digitally purchased. Pretty much all Steam users download digitally, because physical copies just aren't that common on PC. That way, when you gift a game to someone on Steam, you can be guaranteed they'll be able to download it. However, on consoles, physical media is still very prevalent. If you gift a game digitally, you don't have the same guarantee as Steam that the receiving player will actually be able to download digitally. Perhaps that has something to do with why that feature isn't there?

5. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I remember that the wii had a option to gift friends games from wiishop if you have the friend code or something, but that isn't possible anymore i guess. I wanted to buy someone Freedom planet for wii u since is on sale for %50 right now until december 5. I went to the nintendo site to try and buy it but it said i can't cause i already own the game. So i assume it knows since i used my nintendo network ID.

I do remember that the nintendo rewards thing from like 4 years ago lets you earn coins and prizes you can redeem with them and they were download codes for games. But I just wanted to buy a code for that one game. :unsure:

6. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So i'm guessing is just better to get those prepaid value cards, i guess is not as bad, but they do leave a bit extra in the account, sucks if you wanna save that extra $4 or something. :P