Is it possible to produce a reproduction of a retro console by hand?

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, you cannot solder with your hand, you need a hand. solder, and soldering iron for that.

Joking aside, it is possible but would take a large PCB to create and possibly not even economical. The main IC/CPU/chipset is a chip made of transistors, which should be reproducible with transistors, but would take a lot of space to recreate.
https://retrocomputing.stackexchang...do-s-smp-really-contain-3-million-transistors

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How about this?
https://monster6502.com/

The only thing I could find at the moment. As far as I know there have been even more complex implementations of micro electronics as macro(?)/big electronics. It will need much more power and I guess clock rate will be severely limited (limiting factor being the speed of light for signals to reach their target – Edit: and the page mentions bigger "capacitance" as a problem; I am surprised it reaches 1/50 of the original speed… but it won't play NES games full speed). I guess it isn't feasible to implement an Intel Core i7 in components you can touch. No idea how enormously big this would be.

Reactions: Veho and r5xscn

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Basic schoolboy electronics notes things are built from fundamental components (might want to add memristors and inductors onto that, though practical memristors are a bit thin on the ground).

My main concern, and it could well be a fatal one (as it is many times analogue electronics pokes into the digital world) would be timings issues and interference. Basic physics notes that longer distances come with delays, possibility for more interference (those nice long wires/traces going all over the shop are basically a recipe for cross talk and are antennas all by themselves), resistance drops needing corrections there (which also tend to come with timing/circuit hazard problems) and all that might flow from that. Some of this would necessarily involve more components to correct for it, though I don't know when that might achieve some kind of runaway issue you can't tame (or take a lesser emulation/simulation for -- cycle accurate and bug for bug is nice but not exactly necessary in all things) a la Amdahl's law for CPU cores.
This would get worse as transistor count increases -- 5000 transistors (high for 6502 aka NES, low for a Z80 aka master system and debatably gameboy) for even surface mount packed side to side is going to be quite large, never mind with connections. More transistors, which also usually comes with a higher clock speed (I assume we are going for real time and not basic output simulation/emulation) and thus shorter windows for error correction.

Reactions: r5xscn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :sad::sad::sad: And a part of my family passed also. :sad::sad::sad: Sending my good suit to the...