Is it possible to port Streets of Rage Remake to the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Rokku, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Rokku
    OP

Member Rokku GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Using an emulator to play Streets of Rage 1, 2, and 3 is fun and all, but would it be possible to port the fan game Streets of Rage Remake to the DS for play on flashcarts?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Depends on what it was written in/with.

3. Rokku
    OP

Member Rokku GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I honestly don't know.

4. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    I believe this question was asked before on the forums for the game, with the answer being a big fat no.

Pity though, I'd love to play it on my DS or PSP. Never much like gaming on the PC.

Edit - Found reference to BennuGD being the engine used for the planned Wii and PSP ports. Guessing that is what the final PC release used as well.

Edit again - Now I've found the PC version used Fenix.

Edit the 3rd - BennuGD and Fenix are apparently the same thing, just with different names depending on system for some reason. Bah, humbug.

5. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Well it's possible to "port" anything from anything. Arcade or console ports for home computers used to often be done from scratch with no access to the original code, graphics or sound - in fact that was one of the reasons for cheat codes, so the people making the port could go through and see all of the game without actually being good at it. (You could argue these weren't true ports in the strict definition, but in gaming they were still referred to as a port of the original)

So it would be possible in some way, using some, none or all of the code or graphics. But it would probably be a massive undertaking and not one that someone would engage in.

6. Dagmara

Newcomer Dagmara Newbie

United States
    BennuGD is a fork of Fenix.

1 person likes this.
  7. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    Thanks for explaining that. I was so confused going over posts on the SoRR forum.