is it possible to play online without updating?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by alirezay, Jul 2, 2016.

1. alirezay
    OP

alirezay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2012
    United States
    so i was wondering if thats possible. i blocked the nintendo urls in my router but the problem is that now i can not play online. is there a workaround?
    (and how about game updates? can i update games without updating the system?)

Last edited by alirezay, Jul 2, 2016
  2. TheKingy34

TheKingy34 ҉

Feb 21, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    Spoof your firmware.,

Last edited by TheKingy34, Jul 2, 2016
    Anonymous456 and alirezay like this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you are not on the latest version, you can play online with retail disc by spoofing the firmware.
    Spoof = make the game think the console is on another version.

The WiiU has a file which contains the "current version number" and the games are only looking at this file to determine if the console needs to update or not before connecting to internet.
    You can spoof the WiiU version by installing the latest "version.bin" file without updating all the other system files. You need WUP installer homebrew and the latest "version.bin" for your region that you can get on Nintendo's servers or on Crediar's website.

If you launch a game and there's a new update, you can't install it without updating the console, unless you install it manually.
    You can download the game update with NUSGrabber or JNUSTool with the encrypted data, and use WUP installer to put the latest update on the console.

With both the spoof and latest update installed manually, you can play your retail disc or eshop games online.

You can even access eShop with a spoofed console by using NNU patcher homebrew.

4. alirezay
    OP

alirezay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2012
    United States
    awesome!
    but i have another problem. with the url blocks i get a connection error in the game. how can i get rid of that?
    (and eshop is restricted obviously but for some reason i could play online and go to eshop today.)
    and how safe is playing online with a spoofed fw?

Last edited by alirezay, Jul 2, 2016
  5. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    playing online with a spoof is safe.
    Accessing eshop shouldn't work if you are not on latest version without using NNU patcher. And if you are on latest version, then the spoof is useless as you don't need to fake the console version.

so, if you already are on 5.5.1, just use the tubehax DNS, and you will be able to access eshop and play online. The system updates will be blocked.
    You can't access eshop if the console initiated a "check for new system update" as it can't access the server and will act as if eShop is offline too. You can access eShop only if you don't have the "red cross" icon on the download icon on the home menu.
    Same for downloading game from eshop, if you have a blocked update in the queue, you need to reboot the console to start downloading the game or application you bought from eshop.

About the error you got in the game : I don't know. maybe the game is checking nintendo servers? or you have more URLs blocked than just the tubehax DNS.

6. Anonymous456

Anonymous456 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    In a box on the street.
    Is this still relevant?

7. fowler002

fowler002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2013
    No they've come up with new secret methods they're not releasing on here.....

8. Anonymous456

Anonymous456 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    In a box on the street.
    Good.

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    which secret method?
    it's still relevant, you can spoof your 5.5.1 into 5.5.2 by installing "version.bin" file using WUP installer.
    you also have to block access to eShop (with DNS or proxy) to prevent downloading the update while you have online enabled.

or am I missing something? there's nothing secret, everything is available on the forum.
    or maybe it was sarcasm.

10. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Yeah he's being sarcastic.

That being said, a spoof afaik is not necessary at all.

Kleyon likes this.
  11. fowler002

fowler002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah sorry was being sarcastic, and as madridi said I don't think you really need to mess around with the version.bin or whatever. Just need to run nnu patcher.

Kleyon likes this.
  12. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I think the big secret was meant to be deleting the "update" folder in storage_mlc /sys... using fptiiu & fillezilla which stops the wiiu from updating fully without the need to use dns servers anymore and tbh it works a treat and Cyan you should do it to your wiiu, if you haven't already. As far as online gamings concerned, it works all ok as normal still being on v5.5.1, unlike the old firmware days on v5.3.2 when you had no other choice than to spoof to the next firmware up to be able to use online gaming.

Last edited by Reecey, Jul 21, 2017
    Cyan likes this.
  13. xtreemsurf

xtreemsurf GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The 5.5.2 spoof works w/ Mario Kart online and NNU Patcher works with eShop. I'm having trouble w/ LEGO Dimensions. I get an error that the server is having trouble. I can get past it and play the game, but there is a big delay. I tried LD w/ NNU Patcher enabled, but I get the same error. When I disable DNS blocking, I get the message to update system if I want to play online.

Since I'm using CBHC, should I just go ahead and update to 5.5.2?

14. fowler002

fowler002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2013
    People have said its fine to, as long as you don't use anything that requires the browserhax.

xtreemsurf likes this.
  15. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    ah that's right, I've read about that yesterday too.

I didn't know online worked fine with 5.5.1 without the spoof, that's good to know :)
    thank you.

Maybe they can force 5.5.2 later through tagaya, but I already played non-updated games onlines without issues just by disabling tagaya access. the consoles didn't know there were an update for a game, and the game still worked fine online.
    if spoof 5.5.2 is required one day, that's not a big issue.

Reecey likes this.
  16. xtreemsurf

xtreemsurf GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    That's what I've read...I just wasn't sure if anyone else had experience with LEGO Dimensions. Thanks for the response!