Hacking Is it possible to play NTSC games in colour on a non-NTSC TV?

Tir

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Or am I wasting my time fiddling more? Using Neogamma and I suppose it was naive of me thinking that just selecting "force PAL" and fiddling with the patch options would do the trick, MH3 just green screens with that, and it's black and white if I let it use NTSC. Googling brings up quite old threads and I don't know if any of those old ISO patchers are worth wasting DVDs on, will they just do the same thing Neogamma does in the end? Same with other loaders, are they worth trying or do they basically use the same method?

Reason I thought it would be possible was I had success with patching NTSC PS2 ISOs with a little known program that allowed me to play them fine in full colour with swap disc, even though my TV doesn't support NTSC mode.

Black_Knight_666

Trophies
XP
Country
Just fiddle around with the settings in neo gamma, and you will eventually get it. If you want, i can send u a screenshot of what to do? I have a fairly old tv, and after about 5 mins of fiddling, i got it
biggrin.gif

Black_Knight_666

Trophies
XP
Country

Tir

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Black_Knight_666 said:
Just fiddle around with the settings in neo gamma, and you will eventually get it. If you want, i can send u a screenshot of what to do? I have a fairly old tv, and after about 5 mins of fiddling, i got it
biggrin.gif
Do you know if your TV supports NTSC signals?

Mine doesn't, I'm sure if I went out and bought a newer TV the settings that were previously in B&W would be in colour but I was hoping there was a workaround like how I got NTSC PS2 games converted. And I don't really want to buy a new TV that I otherwise don't need, I wish Wii had a VGA cable for my two LCDs.

edit: your settings might help, do you have "force PAL" set?

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tir said:
Black_Knight_666 said:
biggrin.gif
Do you know if your TV supports NTSC signals?

Mine doesn't, I'm sure if I went out and bought a newer TV the settings that were previously in B&W would be in colour but I was hoping there was a workaround like how I got NTSC PS2 games converted. And I don't really want to buy a new TV that I otherwise don't need, I wish Wii had a VGA cable for my two LCDs.

edit: your settings might help, do you have "force PAL" set?

Most NTSC games should work fine with "force PAL" set. There are a few games however (and the number is ever increasing), that don't have PAL video code on the disc, so those games will NOT work in PAL.... if you try to force, you'll just get a green screen. These games will run in NTSC ONLY (and this works both ways... I've been dying to play Little King's Story for months, but had to wait until it finally got released in the States because there was no NTSC code in the PAL version).

It really makes no difference at all that you were able to patch your PS2 games... this is a different beast altogether.

Tir

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alright, guess I'll go hunt for a cheap used TV /w NTSC today then, even Twilight Princess just green screens me with force PAL.

Nikj14

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
my friend has a tv that plays both NTSC and PAL games, no fiddling with force NTSC/PAL or anything and they play fine with neogamma.

Tir

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nikj14 said:
my friend has a tv that plays both NTSC and PAL games, no fiddling with force NTSC/PAL or anything and they play fine with neogamma.
Yeah hopefully that's what I'll be experiencing by the end of the day, my current TV is some really really ancient Sony from Germany or something. Maybe I can even find a used TV with component input.

A component > VGA converter would probably cost me about the same but I bet 480p on my 1080p LCD would look like shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn