Is it possible to play movie DVD's on USB DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Spelvin, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Spelvin
    OP

Newcomer Spelvin Newbie

Hi all! This is my first post on anything Wii related, I have a new black Wii with the chipset that won't allow me to play DVD's. I am wondering if I can hook an extrenal DVD drive thru USB and play movies, not just backups, that way. I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I have looked around and can't get a straight answer anywhere.

2. Yoshinecra

Newcomer Yoshinecra Member

United States
    I'm not sure if you can play DVDs, but you can try WiiMC through the Homebrew Channel. [​IMG]

3. Spelvin
    OP

Newcomer Spelvin Newbie

thanks, I've tried Wiimc and it will not load if i have the DVD drive hooked up, neither will Mplayer ce
    In fact, if the DVD reader is plugged in to either USB port, the Wii won't even start up, it has to be unplugged first. Uloader will start up but also won't recognize the DVD
    I am a total noob so I may have overlooked something obvious here. The DVD drive I'm trying to use is a liteon external slim dvd-rom drive

4. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It would probably be easier for you to rip your DVDs and load them through an SD card, flash drive or external harddrive, or maybe use network streaming. I can't help you much with that though, since I use my 360 for media.

The major media players on Wii don't seem to support external DVD drives, and yours doesn't seem to like cooperating with the Wii anyway.

5. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Theotically it can very well. But no one has never done it because... no one has ever needed this.

Theres a dvd drive in the wii that works good and the rest of people use usb drives...

6. Spelvin
    OP

Newcomer Spelvin Newbie

thank you.
    yeah it does seem pretty hopeless. it really irks me that I can't use my Wii to play DVD movies!! It's really going to make me mad if i have to sell this Wii and start looking for an older model without the D3-2 and above chipsets!
    what is 'network streaming', btw? (again, total noob here)

7. picano

Member picano GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Networking streaming is essentially... loading a file off another computer in the same network (connected via the same router).

But as previously stated, there isn't any support for an external dvd player connecting to a wii. If anything, you'd be better off just buying a normal dvd player --- any old cheap one will be far superior than the wii at playing dvds. (Although the wii can do it, it isn't really all that good at it... may lag, may skip, may simply not work at all some times)