Hacking Is it possible to patch NDS wifi to not be limited from higher security network?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apperently when the nintendo ds was made and using wifi for online play, it was limited to only support for WEP security, but we live in 2016, not 2006 like 10 years ago. We have routersw with AES and other better encryption passwords, I myself have a AC1750 dual band router and i wouldn't even know if it supports the other one needed for NDS wifi but it is not recommended by any means. Only other option is a usb wifi connection thing by buffalo, which isn't even made or sold anymore. So i was just curious, is there any way to get around this without Unguarding my security? If not, is fine, I accept it.

Reactions: Deleted User

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately not. However you can get a cheap second 2.4ghz only router and set it up so it is isolated from the rest of your network (separate subnet? dmz?) though doing so might require using dd-wrt or similar cfw on your dual band router.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Apperently when the nintendo ds was made and using wifi for online play, it was limited to only support for WEP security, but we live in 2016, not 2006 like 10 years ago. We have routersw with AES and other better encryption passwords, I myself have a AC1750 dual band router and i wouldn't even know if it supports the other one needed for NDS wifi but it is not recommended by any means. Only other option is a usb wifi connection thing by buffalo, which isn't even made or sold anymore. So i was just curious, is there any way to get around this without Unguarding my security? If not, is fine, I accept it.
If your router has a guest network feature, you can add an additional wifi network using WEP and with MAC address filtering, and only enable it when you need it. It's a whole lot better than switching the main network to WEP at least.

D

Deleted User

This is something I've been wondering about for a while myself, even before I was actually interested in videogame hacking of any kind. I was never able to play DS games online because the way our Wi-Fi is set up and has been set up ever since I got my DSi.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is something I've been wondering about for a while myself, even before I was actually interested in videogame hacking of any kind. I was never able to play DS games online because the way our Wi-Fi is set up and has been set up ever since I got my DSi.
It's funny how the wii and ds was released around the same time but wii has support for the advanced encreption of AES. :P

deadf1sh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you aware that NDS network has been shut down ?

Regarding the buffalo thing, you would need a PC with windows 7 at most (couldn't find the drivers for 8)

There is an alternate network made by the community, but you need to patch your roms to use it, and you still need wep security.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you aware that NDS network has been shut down ?

Regarding the buffalo thing, you would need a PC with windows 7 at most (couldn't find the drivers for 8)

There is an alternate network made by the community, but you need to patch your roms to use it, and you still need wep security.
I already know about all of this which is why i asked if there was a chance to patch NDS Wifi on 3DS to change that restriction of only having WEP. :mellow:

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because of the new advances in ds mode, it'd be possible. Maybe. If we can get nitrohax running and dsi hardware access, maybe we could use that extra hardware to patch the wifi reads. But that's probably as difficult as patching ROMs to run from sd card. So it probably won't happen, as it's so much work for so little reward. Remember, DS games run on bare metal.
But it's possible. Perhaps someone will do it!

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because of the new advances in ds mode, it'd be possible. Maybe. If we can get nitrohax running and dsi hardware access, maybe we could use that extra hardware to patch the wifi reads. But that's probably as difficult as patching ROMs to run from sd card. So it probably won't happen, as it's so much work for so little reward. Remember, DS games run on bare metal.
But it's possible. Perhaps someone will do it!
I see, i may not know all the ins and outs of the situation, but i appreciate a more explaination and idea of what could be done. :)

I can accept no, is not possible or no reason to do it or something like that, but i least like to know how or why which you have provided some detail for it.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of flashcarts with improved wifi cards built in, which patch the roms to use them. But I've never actually seen a specific flashcart advertised as having that, so it's likely a scam. Also, I doubt it would work with the Alt WFC as it would require double patching the rom (AR codes generally don't work on patched roms), and the flashcart might not support the DNS manipulation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: DBZ 90% filler lol