Is it possible to move saves from R4 to DS carts?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by sciencefair, Apr 21, 2007.

1. sciencefair
    OP

Newcomer sciencefair Member

United States
    I'm just curious, is there any program or hardware that can accomplish this? I want to take a game's save file from my R4 and stick it on the actual cartridge for that game.

2. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    Not yet, you still need a slot-2 to do that

3. sciencefair
    OP

United States
  4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Possibly but why bother when for $35 you can get a GBA slot cart and have GBA games and be assured of the support you want.

5. xbman

Member xbman GBAtemp Regular

I believe there is a program called rain that let you backup / restore saves to an original DS cart, but as already mentioned, you would need a slot 2 device to do this since you would have to have your original DS cart in slot 1. You should be able to find it doing a google search but from what I recall all the info was in chinese. However what I am not sure is what format rain saves them in, meaning can you convert an R4 save into a format that rain would be able to restore back to a DS card.

Otherwise I think the AR Max (save cheat) for the GBA/NDS should be able to do it. I know you can covert from .duc format to SC, then SC to anything else so it should be possible to go the otherway as well.

6. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Yes, GBA/NDS AR Max would work. There was recently released an online save game converter that can convert from any format to any other format, including the AR Max format.

7. sciencefair
    OP

United States
    Thanks a lot for the answers! [​IMG]

8. mikesinclair555

Member mikesinclair555 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    sent you a pm

9. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i have a EZ flash 2. Ive been told its possible to run some software on that which will take the save from r4 and place on a original cartridge..

i would like to get saves from my original DS games so i can sell them and use them on backups.

10. WunSick

Newcomer WunSick Advanced Member

United States
    If im not mistaken...

1) dump save from your original game with REIN to see if its a 256k or 512k save game...

2) convert your R4 save into that format (via tools, or hex editor)

3) use REIN to write your save to cart.

been a while since i have done it, if theres an easier way i wouldnt know [​IMG]

EDIT: not sure if Rein has a DLDI version out, but you might be able to get it to run from a slot 1, otherwise id just get a GBAMP or a SuperCard.

11. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    lolz, how would it work running from slot 1... you need the retail cart in slot 1 =D

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I do not know if you will see it but Redsquirrel there are tools that use the SRAM of your GBA cart to grab DS saves.
    It will be a bit more complex (you will have to pull the save from the RAM and uncompress it) but maybe you could work something out there:
    http://nds.cmamod.com/download.html

13. Omoikane1979

Member Omoikane1979 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I am curious if this is possible too because there are a few games I liked so much I decided buying the retail version. Also from what I can tell the Japanese guy who wrote RAIN has stopped his DS page.

Anyway does anyone know of a good program which is still updated that is able to get save games from my R4 to the retail game?
    Some good instructions on how to use RAIN is also appreciated as I am still new to this subject.

14. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If you're going from the R4 to the cartridge, you could probably use EEPINATOR. For dumping from the cartridge though you'll need to use a wifi-based tool since you can't write to the R4's microSD card after reinserting it. So basically, for dumping saves you have two options: SavSender and Rudolph's wifi backup tool. If you're restoring saves to a real cartridge, you have those two options plus EEPINATOR.

15. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Okay from what i gather you want to do this. JUST say you play pokemon on your r4 get the save and hack it, now you want to play this hacked save on the legit card so you can do whatever you want with it (say play at a pokemon battle event without raising suspicion because you use a flash cart.) This is possible with this click here to see how

It's sav sender and sav receiver and it works. I was able to rip the save off my legit pokemon card and then edit the sav with pokesave then when i was done i was able to send it back to my legit pokemon cart and i was able to hack my pokemon (within the game boundaries of course) and play it.

But instead of using the ' The SavReceiver PC app' it stated in the tutorial i posted above i used this one instead and it worked great. click here for better sav receiver app

I must say this is pretty complicated and you need a good understanding of routers and stuff to do it.

Good luck, or if this is out of your boundaries and limit just do whatever they posted above me.

and sorry if this post has nothing to do with what you stated above.

16. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I wondered when someone was gonna post this! It's complicated but it works.

17. Omoikane1979

Netherlands
    I've tried using EEPINATOR to restore my 'Rockman ZX save file', I did the following:
    1 - file --> DS cart
    2 - I chose my save file
    3 - When prompted 'Ready to write to eeprom? press start...' I insert my retail Rockman ZX game
    4 - Then press start
    5 - I get the error 'Wrong save size!; File = 524288; EEPROM = 8192; press start...'
    So what exactly went wrong and what should I do?

By the way I have read REINMOON is more user friendly, than REIN v1.7, but I get lost during installation: "What should I select? I have an R4 and an EZflash V 3-in-1"
    As of yet I haven't found any good instructions for either REIN or MOONREIN or EEPINATOR. I appreciate any help that can be given.

Lastly I won't hurt my retail game card info by doing this am I?

18. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Defiantly works a dream i do this like 3 times a week, never failed me even the first time i did it, i also use net cats when i feel like it.

19. kazumi213

Member kazumi213 GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    EEPINATOR is asking you for a 8 kbytes save file but you are supplying a 512 kbytes one.

You need to keep the first 8192 bytes of your R4 save and remove everything else before using EEPINATOR. Make a backup, then open your R4 512 kbytes save in a hex editor and cut from offset 0x2000 to the bottom. Save the 8 kbytes resulting file and try using it with EEPINATOR.

20. Omoikane1979

Netherlands
    Kazumi213 said: "You need to keep the first 8192 bytes of your R4 save and remove everything else before using REIN. Make a backup, then open your R4 512 kbytes save in a hex editor and cut from offset 0x2000 to the bottom. Save the 8 kbytes resulting file and try using it with REIN."

Thank you Kazumi213 for your advice. I tried searching for offset 0x2000 with the Hex Editor XVI32, but was unable to find it. By the way I have looked up offset in Wikipedia, but I still don't quite understand it's meaning so I might be doing something wrong.
    In short if you know of a better Hex Editor and explanation in laymans terms that would help. Once again thank you for helping out.