ROM Hack Is it possible to merge a ROM with a DLC file into HACKED ROM with the DLC integrated?

Akirou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Is it possible to merge a ROM with a DLC file into a HACKED ROM with the DLC integrated in the ROM? if it is how am i able to do it? is it possible to do it without a 3ds? (my 3ds is 11.0 so i can't homebrew) what type are they supposed to be for a merge to be possible ? .3ds or .cia ?

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- I'm no developer, but I'm almost positive this is not possible.
- Yes, you actually can enable homebrew on 11.0, just not CFW, emuNAND, or a9lh.
- If you don't have a homebrew capable 3ds, how do you intend to play these ROMs? Emulator? Or do you have a flash cart? If you do have a flashcart then Gateway is the only one I know of that can run DLC.

Akirou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
- I'm no developer, but I'm almost positive this is not possible.
- Yes, you actually can enable homebrew on 11.0, just not CFW, emuNAND, or a9lh.
- If you don't have a homebrew capable 3ds, how do you intend to play these ROMs? Emulator? Or do you have a flash cart? If you do have a flashcart then Gateway is the only one I know of that can run DLC.
well i found you can merge .cia game file + .cia dlc but i need a 3ds with CFW for that .... which i don't have . ( not sure this method is legit it requires copying the romf file from dlc into the rom romf file and replace everything that can be replaced well not sure if this works but that's what the only guide i found said)
and yes of course i want to play it on an emulator why do you think i want them merged ? because emulators can't activate dlc on their own atm because they just emulate the game without internet functions .

Last edited by Akirou,

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i found you can merge .cia game file + .cia dlc but i need a 3ds with CFW for that .... which i don't have . ( not sure this method is legit it requires copying the romf file from dlc into the rom romf file and replace everything that can be replaced well not sure if this works but that's what the only guide i found said)
and yes of course i want to play it on an emulator why do you think i want them merged ? because emulators can't activate dlc on their own atm because they just emulate the game without internet functions .

i have a CFW 3ds can you provide a link to where you found out how to?

Akirou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
i have a CFW 3ds can you provide a link to where you found out how to?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/poc-tutorial-hans-use-how-to-combine-updates-with-your-game.402008/ it says that dlc might work the same way as updates

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If I knew that, I wouldn't have asked. No need to be a smart-ass. A quick Google search tells me that it is not possible to run DLC on Citra via any means.
i'm not trying to be a smart-ass the one trying to be one is you with the google comment and google isn't always the most reliable source and yes you can't run dlc on citra the normal way but the way i proposed is different. ( you can write chinese citra build all you want on google it won't show you the original site where you can download it mostly youtube videos and such , don't always rely on google )

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to merge a ROM with a DLC file into a HACKED ROM with the DLC integrated in the ROM? if it is how am i able to do it? is it possible to do it without a 3ds? (my 3ds is 11.0 so i can't homebrew) what type are they supposed to be for a merge to be possible ? .3ds or .cia ?
First of all how would you do this? You would have to reprogram the game, why? Well for one thing let examine how it works. The game is loaded, and checks the SD CARD for update and dlc. So just adding data to the complete package won't work. Unless you know how to actually make the game read extra data you inject into this CIA or ROM file, then its not possible.

Now perhaps maybe.... JUST MAYBE. Like how file replacement works on games, like how brawl mods work. It loads data off of SD when the game requires it instead of what is already on the disc, if you COULD SOMEHOW replace the data with in the game itself with either update or DLC data it MIGHT WORK. But since dlc is EXTRA DATA is not data you can replace, is completely new data, add on content. Which the game is naturally un aware of. Just like some updates add new data even though modify existing data. You may only be able to do Limited data, of updates. Which is the stuff that is labeled exactly the same

Now this is all theory, i never tested. Of course is just like rom injection, replace current rom with new rom to play injected game. You could in theory replace ONLY DATA that is similar or the same to make it work. BUT still the data that isn't same most likely extra data added to update, would not work. The update is required to use dlc for every game cause game normally do not handle the data as it is sold. It check for update data, load the patches, the patches contain instructions on handling DLC if dlc exist, DLC is loaded. No update data, no dlc. Only if the game was sold with instructions on handling dlc it could i guess not need update. But seem like new DLC need update.

Okay short story, theory it could be possible but is complicated. We seen games like Injustice ultimate edition with all DLC on the disc no update or extra download required but is done by the people who make games, not mod or hackers. No mod or hacker has ever try to insert dlc into a game, it was either created or custom data like mods and homebrew. Nintendo could maybe make Super smash bros, hyrule warriors or Fire emblem with ALL DLC on cart or as download. But maybe still it may even just unload and install it from game into appropriate file structure for 3DS games like it is now. :P

Akirou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
First of all how would you do this? You would have to reprogram the game, why? Well for one thing let examine how it works. The game is loaded, and checks the SD CARD for update and dlc. So just adding data to the complete package won't work. Unless you know how to actually make the game read extra data you inject into this CIA or ROM file, then its not possible.

Now perhaps maybe.... JUST MAYBE. Like how file replacement works on games, like how brawl mods work. It loads data off of SD when the game requires it instead of what is already on the disc, if you COULD SOMEHOW replace the data with in the game itself with either update or DLC data it MIGHT WORK. But since dlc is EXTRA DATA is not data you can replace, is completely new data, add on content. Which the game is naturally un aware of. Just like some updates add new data even though modify existing data. You may only be able to do Limited data, of updates. Which is the stuff that is labeled exactly the same

Now this is all theory, i never tested. Of course is just like rom injection, replace current rom with new rom to play injected game. You could in theory replace ONLY DATA that is similar or the same to make it work. BUT still the data that isn't same most likely extra data added to update, would not work. The update is required to use dlc for every game cause game normally do not handle the data as it is sold. It check for update data, load the patches, the patches contain instructions on handling DLC if dlc exist, DLC is loaded. No update data, no dlc. Only if the game was sold with instructions on handling dlc it could i guess not need update. But seem like new DLC need update.

Okay short story, theory it could be possible but is complicated. We seen games like Injustice ultimate edition with all DLC on the disc no update or extra download required but is done by the people who make games, not mod or hackers. No mod or hacker has ever try to insert dlc into a game, it was either created or custom data like mods and homebrew. Nintendo could maybe make Super smash bros, hyrule warriors or Fire emblem with ALL DLC on cart or as download. But maybe still it may even just unload and install it from game into appropriate file structure for 3DS games like it is now. :P
that's for replying to me this helped a lot with what i wanted to know . i got curious because in a different thread someone mentioned you could merge them like you merge updates by copying the romf data but i guess it's not that simple . Once again thanks for the reply always wanted more insight on this.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's for replying to me this helped a lot with what i wanted to know . i got curious because in a different thread someone mentioned you could merge them like you merge updates by copying the romf data but i guess it's not that simple . Once again thanks for the reply always wanted more insight on this.
Hey your not the only one who mess around with ideas when they get bored and wanna do something cool :P
I come up with ideas like all the time. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.